title

Accidental inbreeding question

HOME Forums Hog Health Accidental inbreeding question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I have an unregistered LBH gilt I was raising as a feeder for the freezer. Her registered 100% brother, from another litter but the same parents, is my herd boar. I didn’t think she was old enough to be bred so I wasn’t as careful to keep them seperated as I should have been. As a result there is a chance she is pregnant by her brother, based on the way they are acting and some things I have observed about her in the last couple of days.

What is the likely outcome? Obviously there won’t be any pigs I’d sell as breeders out of such a pairing, but is the litter likely to be a total loss or am I likely to at least get a litter of good feeders?

Thanks in advance for any input.

#21696 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Bump.

#21698 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

There is no evidence that the litter would be a total loss. You may find that there are a few really decent piglets in the bunch. What you MIGHT find is a higher incidence of abnormalities and illness. The piglets may be more susceptible to respiratory illness due to changing weather or stress. The piglets may have abnormalities such as clef palettes, absorbed twins, missing anus, extremely long or short snouts, any number of combinations of weirdness. OR, your litter may grow faster than average with a nicer body structure. Remember that the best and the worst will be more defined by a very close inbreeding.
    Happy Hogging!
    Felicia

#21702 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Felicia. This gal was supposed to be one I was raising to go in my freezer…I guess if she reaches slaughter weight before showing signs of being about to farrow, she goes to the abattoir. If not, she has her piglets and we just see what she has…and she goes to the abattoir as soon as the piglets are weaned and I can get he back in shape.

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Accidental inbreeding question
Your information: