title

AI for breeding

HOME Forums Hog How-To's AI for breeding

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jen 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Sas Weber
    Participant

Help!

I live in SW Montana and i have two gilts that i will want to breed in early 2013. Can’t find any Large Black boars in my area and would love to be able to AI. I checked the International Boar Semen place and they don’t seem to have any Large Black semen. I know this topic has come up before…has anyone had any luck finding semen and/or AI’ing their large blacks?

Thanks-

Sas Weber

#18151 Reply
    Member: WI
    Harvey Work
    Participant

Artificial insemination of pigs is very simple, but timing and knowing when the gilts are in heat is the difficult part, especially with Large Blacks who are hard to detect when they are in heat. And, yes, boar semen can be hard to find and expensive to ship. A possible solution for you may be a working agreement to use a boar for your gilts. I am relocating my herd to Wyoming, probably not to far from you, so I would be more than happy to work with you to get them bred. If you are interested email me at carlenafarms@yahoo.com

#18153 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Hmm… Sas that is weird as someone called here the other day asking about the Noble Sam boar/semen of ours that IBS had. Maybe Steve at IBS has sold all his LB boars?

Harvey is right when he says that detecting heat in Large Blacks is extremely difficult. Several breeders have mentioned this in the past & I know we rarely can tell when our girls are in heat. It is only due to the boys actions that we know. Many sows will show physical signs – swollen vulva etc but the LB’s do not seem to do this.

Take care,

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

#18154 Reply

Sas Weber
    Participant

Hi Liz. And thanks Harvey for your input. Do people generally take the gilts to the boar or does the boar travel to the gilts? I am thinking that would be difficult for either in the winter. There is someone in N Montana, Cranky Carls, that has some LBs. I haven’t talked to them yet about possibility of travel. I’m sure Liz is thinking, i told you you should’ve gotten a boar!

#18155 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

LOL! Yes having your own boar is certainly the best option in our opinion & no, I am not trying to sell you one although you know we have plenty. Having your own boar is SO much more convenient because if the girls don’t take the first time he is there to make sure they take the second time or third time. Rarely seen them not take the first or second time but stuff does happen. PLUS they may get out of sync so be in heat at completely different times.

Another thing to think about is bio-security. We do not lend our boars out to anyone & for one good reason – disease. Our herd is healthy – why on earth would we risk sending a boar out to someone elses farm to maybe bring something back with him. WAY too high a risk. And yes it is normally the boar that goes to visit but even if you do it the other way round you are taking a risk. Now I am not saying that Harvey’s pigs have any nasty diseases at all but his or whoever’s pigs are being raised in a slightly different environment than your own & may be immune to different things than your pigs. That is why it is very important to quarantine any new animals you bring on to your farm.

Whoever you purchase a boar from, just make sure he is registered with the LBHA. There are breeders in ID & WA which are a little closer to you. If you go this route you want to get one ASAP so that he has time to catch up with the girls size wise & is able to breed them in a timely manner. Finding mature boars is HARD as most people, if not selling them as breeding stock at 8 weeks old, castrate them.

Maybe Harvey has a young boar (for sale) that he is taking to Wyoming with him – I know he had some Noble Sam boars at one point. Do you still have any Harvey?

Liz

Missouri

#18158 Reply
    Member: WI
    Harvey Work
    Participant

All good points Liz. When I lend out a boar he does not come back to the farm. When the party using him is done with him they may buy him, or he goes to a different farm to be isolated, then sold. I do have a couple of breeders I work with that have only bought breeding stock from me, so if I choose, after isolation, will bring a boar back to my farm. Sas, depending on the size of your gilts, I do have a couple very nice Noble Sam boars weighing about 150 pounds that I would sell, but I need to know ASAP as I have others interested. Also have a yearling Majestic boar that would be available mid January. I would get him to Powell, Wyoming if you are interested. As Liz mentioned, if you buy a boar you have him for the next breeding. Whether you get a pig from me or not, please email me or call 920-579-1544, since we will be in somewhat close proximity we need to stay in touch

Harvey

#18159 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

OH! You are really not going to be that far from Montana or Yellowstone! Just googled Powell to see where it was. Must have been close to there in our travels. Hope the move goes well.

Liz

Missouri

#22593 Reply

Jen

Hello out there? It is December 20th 2016. Most the posts I have seen are a couple of years old. I have one LB guilt born April of this year. I want to AI her as we had a bad experience with a LB boar. He sliced her up pretty good. Anyway I am looking for Noble Sam blood line or another pure LB line. Where can I purchase frozen semen? This is jen in Grand Junction CO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: AI for breeding
Your information: