title

Boar service life

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Boar service life

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Linda (and Ken) Van Buskirk (and Post) 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Newbie here…bought my LBHs April 28 of last year when they were 2 months old, and now they are a year old, ready to breed. I am purchasing a boar that was born on August 7 of last year, and I pick him up the day after tomorrow.

I’ve been doing a LOT of reading/studying, and everything I see saays a boar’s service life is 2 years, or 3 at the most. I’m finding this on most sites a Google search leads me to, but they are all commercial pig related.

So…how long IS the service life of a LBH boar, servicing two sows, in a small landowner, pasture raised situation?

#21285 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Until he can’t any more.

I know that’s not the answer you were looking for, but, there are a lot of variables involved. I’ve talked to people who’ve had boars start to fail at 3 years and people who’ve bred boars that are 8+. Genetics, overall health (body condition, joints, etc), feed quality, injuries, etc all play a part in the longevity of your boar.

My boar is going on 3 years old and is still very much in his prime.

#21287 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

Followup…define “until he can’t”. Do you mean physically cannot mount the sow, or are we talking fertility “can’t”?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles.
    #21315 Reply

One has to watch the size differential of the boar and any gilts that you buy in to breed. A large boar cannot be used to breed a gilt.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Boar service life
Your information: