title

Boar with pneumonia

HOME Forums Hog Health Boar with pneumonia

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by chhogs chhogs 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Our oldest boar, Boris, came down with pneumonia like symptoms about 2 months ago, some fever and hard, congested breathing. We gave him 5 days of tetracycline – no better. Vet came out and put him on Baytril for 5 days, Banamine for fever and pain, and some sort of syrup that was supposed to help ease his breathing. No better. She came back out last week and put him on Exceed – 1 shot every 5 days. We gave him his 2nd shot Wednesday and he still has snot coming out, sounds like a steam engine breathing, and is losing weight at a dramatic pace. He still eats but it’s hard for him as he has to stop to breath and he drinks a lot but fever seems to have gone. Anyone have any other ideas – we are all so worried about him as he is such a wonderful, sweet boy and we love him like a pet. He’s so good, even though the first shots must have stung, he put up with it, although by the last one he would try to avoid it by turning his butt to us, but NEVER biting or even swinging his head at us. The Exceed goes sq behind his ear and he just stands there for that so it must not burn or sting. Any ideas at all?

#17953 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Yikes Steph! So sorry to hear about Boris 🙁

Are you sure it is pneumonia? Could it be Congestive Heart Failure? We have never had a pig with that but did have a dog that died of that. She had a terrible time breathing & we were not sure what was wrong with her. Thought she just had a cold. By the time we had made the vet appointment it was too late – she died before we could get her there but there would have been nothing we could have done anyways.

What about lungworms or roundworms? Was just reading this week how they cause coughing etc which I did not know before! http://www.ehow.com/facts_5447425_life-cycle-ascaris-suum.html

How old is he?

Once again I am SO sorry! Hope you can save him.

Liz

#17957 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

I’ll talk to the vet tomorrow and have him tested – I hadn’t even thought of worms causing this. At least it gives us something else to look into. Boris will be 3 in July so just a ‘young’ guy. So hope we can get him fixed up.

Thank you for you kind thoughts, Liz. Will keep you updated on how it goes with him.

Steph

#17958 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Last Saturday Juventus by virtue of 2 to 0 victory over Atlanta to win the half-title may only be symbolic , but as the first time to the Serie A leaders , season to half unbeaten in six years .

Custom Soccer Jerseys

Soccer Jerseys

Chelsea Jersey

Bayern Munich Jersey

Real Madrid Jersey

Spain Soccer Jersey

Portugal Soccer Jersey

France Soccer Jersey

Netherlands Soccer Jersey

Germany Soccer Jersey

#17961 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

How’s he doing Steph?

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

MIssouri

#17971 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

He’s still hanging in there, Liz, but poor boy is still wheezing and snotty nose. I mentioned the worms to the vet and she said while it probably didn’t cause the pneumonia, it definitely could be preventing the drugs from working on curing it. So, she said to worm him with a half dose, then wait 2 days and do it again, then wait another 3 or 4 days and hit him with a full dose. So we did that but so far I can’t see much difference. He still has 2 more shots of Exceed to get but I don’t know how on earth we’ll get them in him as he’s decided he’s had all the shots he’d going to have! Rusty is thinking of building a set of stocks for him but I don’t think we’ll get him into them more than once! One good sign though, is the past 2 feedings he’s actually eaten some of his feed (we’ve been giving him orange juice on his feed and he’s been sucking it down) plus he drinks plenty cause he’s still peeing a lot. So, we haven’t given up hope on him but I feel so sorry for him.

#17972 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

What kind of wormer do ya’ll use? I ended up giving him ivomec squirted into his mouth (ugh!) because he flat out refused to allow another injection and we don’t have a good way to restrain a pig his size. I’ve used atgard in feed but since he’s not eating well, that wouldn’t work for him now. Any suggestions are very welcome!

#17975 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

We use Dectomax at 8 weeks old. After that we really do not worm unless we see a problem.

I was reading today & I quote “Rule of thumb regarding parasites…. 20% of the herd will carry 80% of the parasite load. No one seems to know why this is… just some pigs are more susceptible to infestation.”

I did not know this before.

We keep meaning to look into VermX which is a natural dewormer but haven’t done it yet. We do free feed DE (Diatemaceous Earth) to some of the pigs when we remember but not sure how much they eat.

Glad he is still hanging in there. Y’know if he has been on medication his “good” gut bacteria could really be messed up which will really drag him down further. I would highly recommend some Probiotics. We use Probios OR you could feed him some live yogurt. That might really help his appetite.

Liz

#17976 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

You know, I read something along that lines about goats but never thought about it with pigs. Boris is the only pig we ever saw pass worms and that wasn’t too long after we got him (3 months old maybe?) Wormed him with Atgard and never saw any more. None of the rest have ever shown signs but we usually worm the weaners with Ivomec. Ours get orange juice, too, on a pretty regular basis and an old farmer told us that will help keep pigs wormed. So maybe Boris is one of the 20% group that is more susceptible to worms. Thanks for the idea about probiotics, too, hadn’t even thought of that! Will keep you updated but yesterday was the first day we’ve heard him breathing normally, without the horrible wheezing so we’re getting more hopeful now.

#17978 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

Sounds like things are looking up! Yee Haa! Hope Boris continues to improve.

Liz

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Boar with pneumonia
Your information: