title

Breeding Issues

HOME Forums General Breeding Issues

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  president 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I was over visiting a friend the other day. He bought a boar from me and a sow from someone down south. The pigs are about 14 months old – yet they have not breed yet. When I was watching the male it looks like he is doing all the right things, nuzzling, smelling, nudging, drooling – but she does not look like she is in heat or ever has been. Does anyone have any ideas? Should he get another sow? I was even questing putting a second sow in with them to see if it could push her maternal clock?

Thanks,

Darla

#17601 Reply

president
    Participant

Darla

There could be any number of reasons for this, not least that they have already bred and nobody noticed. Depending on the weight (too heavy or too light) the gilt may not have come into heat when expected. In my experience it’s pretty difficult to see when a LB gilt is in heat, so don’t expect to see anything apart from a frenzied boar! That fact that the boar is interested to me means that she is coming into heat.

I’d just leave it another month and see if the boar goes crazy again. If he doesn’t then piglets are probably on the way.

Richard

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Breeding Issues
Your information: