title

Breeding Issues

HOME Forums Hog Health Breeding Issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 6 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi All, I have two LBH sisters, they are about 18 months old and never bred. I have had them with a Tamworth boar, young, for about 2 months. His name is Julian, he hasn’t been big enough to breed these bodacious babes. He bred one last week. The other one either isn’t going into heat or isn’t allowing him to breed her. She is still quite bigger than him and plumper than the other maiden.

Should I keep him with her for another month or two? I saw his daddy and momma and they are the biggest swine I have ever seen in my life. It is only a matter of time before he can “take” what he wants. Or is she just not going into heat? What should I do?

A. Put her in the freezer

B. Seperate them for a month or two and then bring him back

C. Keep them to gether for another month or two

D. You tell me! Help!

Thank you for your time!

Stephanie EatMiMeat@gmail.com

#17467 Reply

Pamela
    Participant

What I would do is this- drop weight from the big girl….put her in an adjacent pen to limit feed if you must. Reintroduce them after she’s dropped the lbs. If she’s not pregnant in 2 or 3 months, freezer. I wouldn’t waste any more time or feed ($$$) and at that point, she’s already had a second chance.

#17474 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Are you sure he hasn’t bred her? If they have been together for 2 months, he probably has. Perhaps you just didn’t witness it. Keep an eye on her for signs of pregnancy. Boars can do their thing at about 5 months. Pamela is correct though, you should lean her down if she is too plump. Not good for breeding. Bad on the litter count and hard on the mom. Especially during the last part of her gestation when all that weight is on her legs and ankles. Being around other gilts/sows in heat will help bring her in if she hasn’t been bred.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Breeding Issues
Your information: