title

Butchering a Boar?

HOME Forums General Butchering a Boar?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

I haven’t tried to sell my boar yet, but when the time comes, in a year or less, if I can’t sell him, has anyone butchered their boar? I’ve heard of castrating a full grown boar, but that doesn’t sound like fun at all! I’ve heard the boars have a strong flavor, do we just spice it up more or use it all for sausage? I’d love to hear some comments.

#17268 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Taint is caused by two compounds, one produced in the intestines and the other in the testes. The first compound, skatole, is stored in the boar’s fat and is responsible for the bad smell and taste. The second compound, androstenone, inhibits the breakdown of skatole by the liver and thus allows more skatole to be stored in the fat. The result is taint. Castration removes the source of androstenone thereby allowing the liver to filter more skatole from the boar.

There are many reasons why castration of a mature boar would not remove any possible taint. Since skatole is stored in fat it would take some time for it to be metabolized. If the boar had enough skatole in its fat to cause taint you might have to wait months before butchering.

Making the hog into sausage would not solve the taint problem. You can’t cover it up.

The good news is that taint is only present in 20% of boars and pastured hogs have it less often than penned boars. Raise it on pasture and there is a good chance it would be fine. Or, sell it and buy a barrow to eat. Or, roll the dice and see what happens. If it turns out bad it could always make good dog food. 😉

Good luck!

Brian

#17272 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

I have never done this BUT have heard that the best thing to do with boar meat is to make him into something that is NOT cooked but cured, like salami. Some folks tell me that you cannot taste the taint that way. And yes they do it with Large Blacks.

We have an old boy here who will need to be made into something at some point as sadly I think his breeding days are over.

Liz – Missouri

#17277 Reply

Corrine Smith
    Participant

To get off the subject a bit what determines when the boars time is up? What is the approximate age? Is it their weight?…That they have stopped breeding?

#17278 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

Hi Corinne,

IMO time is up when he can no longer do his job so there is no specific age. The old boar that I was talking about, we purchased when he was 2 so mature & he was extremely overweight. We saw him in action early on BUT the sow never took & they lived together for several months. Was it her or was it him at fault? We have now put the sow with another boar that we know is very fertile & virile so we are waiting to see what happens. We may give Hammy another chance with another sow this spring & watch very carefully to see if he does anything. He is still very interested, frothing etc BUT his hips may have “had it.” Yet again, the problem could have been the sow so that is why he will get another chance. Being a mature boar we have to put him with a mature sow to match size wise.

Breeders that I have talked to say that boars normally can no longer mount after age 3-4.

Liz – Missouri

#17279 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Well, boars aren’t any good to me when they become so large that they can’t breed any of my sows. I’ve only had two get that large so far and I found farms that could use them. I try to sell or trade my boars before they get too large.

#17280 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

So, the original question still beckons…what do you do with the old boars? If he’s 3-4 years old and kaput, and you can’t trade him in good conscience, and you’re afraid to butcher the old guy because he might taste badly… what do you do with the old guy. Is it a “Of Mice and Men” moment, getting him to turn the other direction as you blow him away? Mine is three, still breeding, but we’ve kept some of the gilts from earlier litters and don’t want him breeding his offspring. So, what do we do?

#17282 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Craigslist is a great thing…

A 3 to 4 year old boar is in his prime. Why is he “kaput”?

#17283 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

If he’s still a good breeder at 3 then sell him but note you may not get as much for him as you would a 18mth old proven breeder. That is another reason why it is so important to keep your breeding stock on the lean side. This will keep the boars fit & able to breed for a lot longer. The one I was talking about of ours came to us SO fat he could not do his job. In fact he was finding it hard to walk & breathe let alone anything else. Once he slimmed down he was much better but alot of damage had already been done.

Of course if you can’t sell him, then consider feeding him to your dogs. Seriously they don’t care about the taint & a big boar will keep them fed for quite some time. Of course you may want to cook the meat outside & not in! LOL!

#17923 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Butchering a Boar?
Your information: