title

CALLING ALL MEMBERS!

HOME Forums General CALLING ALL MEMBERS!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rock Gremillion 3 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Member: WI jmcs_3
    jmcs_3
    Participant

Hello Fellow Members! We are in need of some great articles on Winterization for our newsletter! Do you farrow in the dead of winter? Do you have an amazing homemade invention you use to keep water from freezing? How do you water in the winter? Any special feeds or minerals? We want to know! I answer, and see a lot of questions out there on winterization! Submit your articles to Kelly Luzier. treasurer@largeblackhogassociation.org and help out your fellow LBHA Member. ~~~Melissa

#20510 Reply

Rock Gremillion

Not sure if this is the scale you’re looking for but:
    We watered 8 feeders through the polar vortex with a large stock tank and small feed troughs. Ice breaking was never impossible even on nights when it got down to -8, though I did fish the ice out as needed (which if done incorrectly can become an extremely cold chore). A light slope allowed us to drain the garden hose after refilling the stock tank (never more than 50 gallons at a time for easy moves).

Nothing too complicated, especially for a first year. I’d feel comfortable with the stock tank > five gallon bucket > small feed trough setup and up to 25 young feeders. Then I’d think about justifying a less labor-intensive system.

I’d be willing to elaborate if you’d like, but that’s the gist of it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: CALLING ALL MEMBERS!
Your information: