title

Electric Fencing

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Electric Fencing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I’m planning to install an electric fence for my LBHs and have a few questions.

My previous expirience has been with the herd of dairy goaats I had. I know I don’t need as much fencing with swine as I did with the goats (7 strand) but I don’t know what I DO need. Regular wire, poly tape, poly wire, or poly rope? Are the less expensive Zareba energizers a quality product of should I go with Gallagher?How strong an energizer should I get. Are .15 joules enough? One joule? Two?

I’m planning two wires…one at 6 inches above ground for young, small pigs and one at 18 inches for larger pigs. Does this sound right?

Thanks for any assistance.

#21416 Reply

We use electric fencers with our LBHs and they work great. We use standard 14 Gauge Aluminum wire and some 12.5 Gauge as well. We use a mix of solar fencers and 110V. We use only 2 wires at about the same height you listed above, we might be at 8″ for bottom strand in pastures where we only keep adults, to buy more time before grass/dirt build up begin to interfere with the fence….One thing to know for sure is in the winter you may also need a ground wire along with your hot wires, we had issues last winter with snow build up insulating the ground, so the fence wasn’t effective like it was in the summer. Summer time, you only need hot wires. So for our over-wintering pastures, we include one ground in between the two hots, maybe 6″ a part based on what your planning to do….Also, as you probably know, it’s critical you “train” them on the fence so they respect it. We have an area which has cyclone fence with electric fence inside of it. The piglets go there after they are done nursing (~8 Weeks) to have time to grow bigger for the main pastures and also learn the fence with less change of getting out. We call it the training ground 🙂 We use almost all DARE products, but have some Zabara stuff as well. Hope that helps….happy to talk if you want to call my cell 608-215-4094.

#21419 Reply
    Member: Maine Thomas Barry
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

we use 2 strands as well – similar heights. we have only needed a third strand once for a boar that was very interested in some ladies in heat but the third strand did the trick

#21420 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks folks.

#21421 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks folks.

#21422 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks folks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Electric Fencing
Your information: