title

fatty sack around

HOME Forums Hog Health fatty sack around

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by chhogs chhogs 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

my name is wes. iv got a 6 month old large black boar with a fatty bolge around his pee hole. iv not seen any thing like this before. it does not seem to bother him. he was a runt and been pretty healthy besides that. if any one has seen or heard of this i would like to know. can send pic or post. Wes Rockenw@yahoo.com

#17998 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Hi Wes,

Are you sure it is fat? If possible give it a squeeze & see if urine comes out. If so then it is just a tight sheath. We have seen that a couple times here – doesn’t seem to bother them & they grow perfectly healthy.

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

#17999 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Should add to the above that I asked someone who has been in the pasture pig breeding industry for a LONG time & this is what he said,

it’s called preputial diverticulum or “piss pocket” in swine boars.

It can be genetic (shouldn’t be used for breeding) and will show up in fairly young boars from the getgo. or it can be caused by a sheath injury… say a 3-4 year old boar suddenly has a piss pocket.

If injury, I would be concerned regarding infection, and would talk to your vet about a prescription for a week to 10 days of Ampicillin (1000 mg twice a day – 2 pills AM, 2 pills PM). I’d start here and see if the swelling – “tightness” doesn’t recede within the week (proves it was injury caused)

Show this email to your vet and ask for prescription… see if heshe will write it for you.

There are surgical repairs as well, search for the above… but probably not worth the cost depending on the boar because of sedation costs.

SO what I get out of this is, has your boar had it for a while? If so it’s probably not an infection. The biggest thing is NOT to breed from him just in case it is genetic. If he is a feeder, I would do nothing as it should not affect his health or growth rate.

Hope this helps,

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: fatty sack around
Your information: