title

Feeding mama

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Feeding mama

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by heritagemeadowsfarm heritagemeadowsfarm 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

My pigs are in the woods most of the time, and I put out about 4 lbs each as supplimental feed beyond what they get foraging.

Now I have two gals who farrowed recently…one on July 2 and the other on July 12…and they are obviously penned up in their farrowing pens. Each had fairly large litters…9 each…and both moms are about 400-450 pounds. How much should I be feeding them? So far I’ve been feeding 7-8 pounds a day each of a 15% commercial pig feed.

Too much? Not enough?

#21542 Reply
    Member: IN heritagemeadowsfarm
    heritagemeadowsfarm
    Participant
    #21544 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Title of the paper linked:

“Feeding Recommendations for Gestating Sows”

I’m asking about nursing, not gestating sows, and North Carolina State University may be a great cource of information about commercial breeds raised in a factory farm manner, but as I learned in a phone call to them last year with another question, they don’t know squat about pasture raising pigs. Indeed, they are openly hostile to it.

That’s why I asked here. Members tend to raise their pigs the same way I’m trying to, and would have appropriate answers.

Anyway…thanks for the link. If I ever totally and completely lose my mind and go to work in a commercial pig factory I know how to feed gestating sows. (Small attempt at humor.)

#21545 Reply
    Member: IN heritagemeadowsfarm
    heritagemeadowsfarm
    Participant

That is true on the “label” of the article. You completely missed the point. To always give a plate of food to hungry never stops the starvation, but to teach the hungry how to cook can stop the starvation. You are always looking for the simple answers and now Im trying to teach you the ways of reading thru the articles from universities on Animal Science. Nutrition is Nutrition, a hog still needs fundamental elements. Learning how to read your hogs body is very necessary to know how to adjust YOUR feed, what you feed is different than any other member. What your pasture composition is different than every other member. You weather is different than any other member. There are Large Black farms in the US that feeds zero supplemental feed to their hogs in the summer growing season.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Feeding mama
Your information: