title

Gilt estrus

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Gilt estrus

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sara Knight Sara Knight 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: Ga Sara Knight
    Sara Knight
    Participant

When does a gilt begin to cycle? I have a gilt that is 8 months old (farrowed 08/2014) and has not showed any obvious signs of estrus or being ready to breed. My boar has not shown any interest in her either. What gives? Do I need to make her into sausage, or give her a little while longer?

Thanks!

Sara

#20872 Reply
    Member: GA Jeff & Sharon Adams
    Jeff & Sharon Adams
    Participant

Sara,
    How old is your boar? If he is close to her age then she may already be bred. That may be why you haven’t noticed anything. I would definitely give her a few more months. Sometimes you don’t realize what goes on under the cloak of darkness. I would watch her especially over the next four to six months. If she is bred, soon before she farrows, her teats will get bigger and fill with milk not too long before she delivers.

#20877 Reply
    Member: Ga Sara Knight
    Sara Knight
    Participant

Jeff & Sharon,

Good to hear from yall! I hope you’re well. We processed the barrow we bought from you last fall…delicious!

My boar is 6 1/2 months old. He seems like he’s old enough to do the job…I’m just unsure of her ability to cycle, or what age they should begin breeding. I don’t want my breeding sow to be an abnormally late bloomer and therefore have undesirable traits for any future stock. If that makes sense. I have not noticed any vulvar changes, or her making a bag, but my eyes are peeled for sure!

Best,

Sara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Gilt estrus
Your information: