title

Growing problem

HOME Forums Hog Health Growing problem

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I have two barrows that were farrowed on July 12. One is growing fine, but his brother isn’t. He’s not just small…he is TINY!

About two months ago he wasn’t looking good…humped back, droopy tail, no enthusiasm for eating…and I wormed him with Ivomax, with a followup injection two weeks later. Everything improved…curly tail, level back, eating well, running and playing with the other pigs, eating with enthusiasm, shouldering in with others pushing to get to food…everything improved that is except…growth. He is getting taller (though he is not nearly as tall as his brother) but is still thin. Not emaciated thin, but his build is more of a dog than a pig.

He has all the food he can eat available to him.

Thoughts?

#22566 Reply
    Member: tennessee
    Rock Spring Hollow Farm
    Participant

What are the genetics???? These crosses???? What is the CI …. Was the mom feed Fescue???? Each pig will grow differently. We have those that grow long and thin putting on the stocky bulk at finishing. Others we have to watch they do not get fatty.

#22567 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

He may have been stunted by the illness or parasite load that he had earlier. Have you consulted with your veterinarian about possible continued illness or mineral deficiency?

He is only 4 months old and may have a growth spurt and catch up. Try weighing him on a bi-weekly (twice a week) schedule to gauge his rate of growth. If he is gaining consistently, then logically he would catch up to his sibling, but if he is not gaining consistently, then I would suspect a deeper illness or genetic issue. He may take longer to finish out as a meat pig.

Keep us up to date on his case.

#22568 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

He’s a purebred but not registered LBH. I was short on enough feeders to grow out for meat and bought these two from a nearby farm, so I don’t know the genetics.

I’ll monitor growth more closely and let y’all know what is going on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Growing problem
Your information: