title

Growth of Large Black

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Growth of Large Black

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Haley B 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi Ross,

I feed 14% non-medicated pig and sow to all sizes and ages; 16% is better for piglets but the 16% that is available to me is medicated with antibiotics and that’s just asking for trouble. The boars and non-showing sows are staying in good condition on the hay with occasional supplementation as needed. I have tried less expensive alternatives but decided a few years ago that I was not good at calculating nutrients so it’s best to stick with a prepared, balanced sow feed,

The suckling piglets don’t eat much hay and don’t get much from the hay that they do eat. But by the time they leave me they have been nibbling / eating hay for four or five weeks. I caution my customers to not make a quick transition to any other diet such as grain or pasture without supplementation; the piglets need time to adjust.

Bermuda grass has 16 to 20 percent protein if cut often; the protein significantly drops off if allowed to grow too high. Studies show that it needs to be cut every three to four weeks to prevent loss of protein percentage. Hogs definitely prefer younger grass and will not eat tough stems or wide (grass) leaves. But it’s still important to supplement to ensure they get all the minerals they need; if you feed shredded hay or hay in a trough you can wet it and sprinkle a hog mineral mix over the top. You might also try throwing in some sweet feed to get them more interested…

Brian

ADDED: This is in response to your first set of questions. Second set coming…

#17266 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

“Brian,

Another question… The feed we now use is sorghum based and is very dusty. Yes, it’s loose feed, not pelletized. I was thinking about using our hay for the base and getting it ground up, adding the supplements for sows, both gestating and lactating, adding corn, soybean meal, etc… to get the protein content high enough 14% or so, and then some molasses to help keep the dust down. That way, I’m replacing the sorghum grind with hay. What do you think? No one raises many hogs around here, so the guy had never heard of someone using hay instead of sorghum. Your thoughts?

Ross”

If you can achieve a cost reduction and feel comfortable that the mix has all the right nutrients then I would say go for it. But if not, and dust is the only problem, then you can solve that by wetting the feed. Spray it with water, mix it with milk or whey, really any wetting agent will hold down the dust.

I use pellet feed so haven’t had that problem. But our LBHA Vice-Presidents (Mark and Kelley Escobedo) mix their own feed with hay as a base (they are also in South Texas) so they might have better advice.

Brian

ADDED: Kay Wolfe also used to get custom feed from a mill. You may want to speak with her.

#17267 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

Thanks Brian, you’re always a wealth of good information. Thanks for taking the time.

Ross

#17891 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

#17896 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

#23144 Reply

Warren tan

Where to buy large black breed? Thank you

#23158 Reply

Haley B

Alright guys, hear me out here.
    I have a triple heritage cross barrow: berkshire, large black, and ossabaw island.
    Here’s the hear me out part… Haha
    He’s a rescue pet not intended for slaughter at all. (he’s on a lot of medication for genetic disease, luck of the draw for OCD and slew footed turn out. He’s pretty much my baby, Harvey survivor from Katy, TX. I’ve had him since he was 4 hours old. 150 hogs drowned and about 6 sows stress farrowed so obviously we didn’t know who his mother was and he’d definitely not be taken by any of them.
    Hand reared, the whole 9 yards)
    No one can really explain to me his weight and growth rate is exactly normal.
    He is HUGE at a year old and some change.
    I’m talking this sucker is all but 400 lbs and NOT obese.
    He gets fed 3.5 pounds a day now, 10% protein (advised by the breeder to drop from 16% to slow him down so his joints can catch up.
    1/2-3/4 of his diet is Timothy grass.
    Basically 5 cups Timothy pellets dry(I soak them afterwards) 4 cups 10% protein feed 2% fat. All split in to 3 meals a day, he also has acid reflux, Yay.
    Unlimited grazing.
    He keeps growing so fast and I’m really not sure what to do about it to slow him down so he doesn’t have a blow out.
    I AM NOT TRYING TO KEEP HIM TINY.
    I know these guys can end up at 800+ lbs at maturity.
    I’m prepared for it, just wanted to note that I’m not trying to stunt him for pet size.
    Got him cut for dominance and temperament because he has issues with alpha male types, i.e my father. Now thats not an issue.

The breeder is stunned at his size.
    His yearlings are most certainly not the same size, and theyre for slaughter, and he’s already passed them up.

Any advice or insite?
    I’m doing my best, but I don’t know if there is anymore I can do for him.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Growth of Large Black
Your information: