title

Has anyone tried hydroponic fodder?

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Has anyone tried hydroponic fodder?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

I’m thinking about doing some hydro grown fodder for all of the animals, but, mostly for the hogs to get fresh greens in the winter that’s rapidly approaching us.

Has anyone here tried it? Results? It looks a lot more cost effective than just buying grain to supplement the hay, and I’ve seen people do it on some TV shows (and we all know that they would never exaggerate anything on TV right?<g>), but, I’ve never actually met anyone who’s done it.

I’ve got an experimental batch of wheat soaking overnight to put in the pans tomorrow night to give it a shot and see what a 13×9 cake pan will yield after 9 days (for the hogs, goats, and sheep) and what a 6×6 cake pan will yield after 4 days (for the rabbits and chickens).

Thanks,

Sam

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by NorthernMarsh NorthernMarsh.
    #20572 Reply
    Member: OK Phillip & Dena Parham
    Phillip & Dena Parham
    Participant

My wife starting doing this while we lived in Arizona with great success. She designed and built her own system. She stills does in now that we moved to Oklahoma. We have found the goats are not very interested in the fodder, they prefer hay or just grazing. The chickens, ducks and pigs like the fodder. Worth it if you build your own system. No need to pay thousands for something you can build for less than $100.

#20656 Reply
    Member: WI Blink Blink-thankful
    Blink Blink-thankful
    Participant

Starting to grow fodder with some rye seeds. They are certified seed and have been tested for ergot…I got lucky and they were given to me, otherwise I would have went with barley or wheat. Anyways did one batch. At this point in time the pigs are enjoying hay more than fodder. But I am tweaking my method and hope they will find more interest in it. Need to be very careful with mold, and keep air moving. I am adding a house fan into the set up and am ordering some food grade peroxide. i’ll keep u posted.
    ~april in COLD Wisconsin.

#20661 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve run a number of successful attempts, but, I’m holding off on actually firing it up full time until spring and I can build a true hydro rack instead of my makeshift setup that would make MacGyver either jealous or throw up{g}. I also don’t know how well it would hold up for more than 5 minutes up here in Northern Wisconsin where we haven’t hit 0 in over a week.

At this point I figure I’ve got enough challenges to get through the winter without adding new ones

#20715 Reply
    Member: TX Seg
    Seg
    Participant

I did it last year as a test and the pigs and chickens seemed to like it. I was making 30 pound batches of Barley grass in trays approximately 30″ X 10″ in size. I planned on increasing the scale about 10 fold but I got side-tracked and never got back around to it. It does appear to be a workable option for some folks.
    Those ready-made kits are way overpriced!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Seg Seg.
    #20765 Reply

Barley is preferred over wheat as a small grain for swine according to standard nutrition tables.

#20807 Reply

Ogreetafarms
    Participant

We’ve been growing and feeding barley fodder to our pigs for over a year now. Here’s a video about how we do it and what we’ve learned.

Hope it’s helpful.

Jason
    High Cove Farm

#20889 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Jason…how much does a “pad” of sprouted barley the size in the video weigh, and how does it compare nutritionally, pound for pound, with pig feed? Equal substitute?

#21150 Reply

farmer John’

bbPress ANTISPAM: Referrer: new here but not to hog farming new to LBH
    I feed fodder every day.
    barley is best
    feed value I 40% more than feeding barley ground and dry

#21224 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Farmer John…or anyone else with an answer…pound for pound compared to a 16% protien commercial swine ration how does sprouted barley compare nutritionally? I’m mainly interested in protien and energy, but would like to know about the other necessary nutrients as well.

#21278 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Bump

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Has anyone tried hydroponic fodder?
Your information: