title

Keeping boars in with piglets?

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Keeping boars in with piglets?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Hello! My neighbor who bought one of our gilts was wondering if (or at what point) he needed to separate his young boar from his gilt as her farrowing nears. I know that last season our escape artist piglets got into our boar’s paddock all the time and he was extremely gentle with them, but I don’t know how it would go if they were all in together 24-7. My neighbor free feeds, so the boar wouldn’t be taking food from the growing piglets or nurshing sow, and the two are very fond of each other. Do any of you have experience with keeping a boar in there with the farrowing sow the whole time? I’m very new at this, so sorry if this is an obvious question. Thank you so much for your advice!

~Amy

#17724 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Hi Amy,

I wouldn’t worry about separating them. You will find that the boar will be just as gentle when he sits/lies down as the sow is. The only thing that might happen is that the boar may think the gilt is back in heat when she has just farrowed – hormones all messed up & so he will be a pest. This does not happen all the time – in fact we have only one boar that does that!

In all this, of course there are exceptions so you really have to know your animals to know how they are going to do. If I was your neighbor I would leave them together, see how it goes & then only move him out if he creates a problem.

Most times the LB boars are very tolerant of babies under their feet.

All the best,

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

#17725 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Thank you Liz! That’s really helpful 🙂

~Amy

#17731 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

We separated ours but the first litter, Boris kept making all sorts of noise until my daughter (who was pig sitting while we were away)went to see what was going on. Turned out Natasha was having babies and Boris was trying to get Keri’s attention (apparently anyway). That was during summer when it was so hot & was a good thing Keri noticed so she could keep mama pig cool. The little pigs would go in and visit ‘dad’ and like you said, he was super gentle with them, even gentler at feeding time than mom was! But when they got to be about 5 or 6 weeks he started getting a little grumpier, never mean just more assertive. We still separate them if we can but sometimes time gets away and the boar is in there with the mom. My dad never ran his pigs together at all but ours do and seem to do okay.

Could just be the wonderful LB pigs, too. 🙂

#17736 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

“Could just be the wonderful LB pigs, too. 🙂 “

I think breed plays a huge part in this. The LB temperament is one of the best as our many of the heritage breeds. There is such a huge difference. Modern breeds are not bred for temperament, just production. So sad 🙁

Liz

Missouri

#17741 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

Just adding my two cents.

We do not separate the boar. He actually ran one of our girls, that was about to farrow and had a nice nest built at the far end of the pasture away from everyone, back into the barn. He laid in the doorway so she couldn’t get back out. She farrowed that night! We have a coyote problem here and he was protecting his lady!

He also watches the nest while Mama goes out to graze. I think he is fabulous with the little ones.

-Felicia

#17742 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Felicia, just another case to prove these LBs are amazing pigs! 🙂 It’s just awesome to me to see how these hogs relate to each other and to their people. We had some ‘pet’ pigs when I was a kid, certain ones who were very tame, but none that even came close to what these are!

#17745 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

What a cool story Felicia 🙂

These pigs truly are the BEST! We had folks here today looking at the animals & our LB’s were on top form 🙂 Martin wanted his scratch & Claire just flopped at our feet for her belly rub!

Liz

Missouri

#17747 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Do some of yours give a little high pitched squeal and ‘dance’ when you scratch their backs? Both Boris (our big boar) and Tasha (our original sow) as well as one of their ‘kids’ do that – it’s so funny to hear that teeny little squeal from such big critters! 🙂

#17749 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

The only boar that has squealed & danced for us was our GOS boar George. The LB’s just stretch out as far as they can & lap up all the attention.

Liz

Missouri

#17844 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Keeping boars in with piglets?
Your information: