title

Legalities – ear notching R we ready?

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Legalities – ear notching R we ready?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by NorthernMarsh NorthernMarsh 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Member: WI Blink Blink-thankful
    Blink Blink-thankful
    Participant

Hey fellow pig people…
    I might double post this.
    Concerned after talking to with the Vet today. In the past we have moved pigs across state lines using the number system we, the LBHA members, use. I am concerned this might not work in the near future. It sounds like we farmers have to have a unique number for all our animals. I tried to explain how the notching is used and she was impressed, but said that she does not think that will suffice in the future. Because my 5/7 pig number is not unique- someone else might have a LB hog with that same notch. I did mention that the 5/7 pigs has an additional number registered to it within the LBHA. Again she seems to be impressed but thinks this will not be enough for what the changing law needs. Also worth noting she says some states are different but all are going in the direction of electronic ( which can be torn off) or a tattoo.
    I sure hope she is wrong!

Any thoughts or insights.???

#20660 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Nope, notching is not allowed for interstate identification any more due to Federal rules. I posted something about that on the Heritage Facebook page a couple days ago as I was surprised as well.

Here’s my post from there.

In case anyone who has never hauled a Heritage breed hog out of state there are apparently some new requirements now that the .fed has stuck their fingers in and muddied the water.

Ear tags: must come from your vet and link that animal specifically to its origin and destination in a national database, which is really too bad since the LBHA doesn’t recognize any ear tag and discourages their use since they tend to get ripped out, but, there’s no way around it, it’s either that or an RFID tracker (that my vet doesn’t carry).

Blood draws to test for: pseudorabies, brucellosis, and a PED statement within 30 days of transport. I know the pseudorabies isn’t new , but, the brucellosis and PED statements are from what I gathered talking to the various state veterinary offices and hadn’t been mentioned 4 months ago when I first started looking into interstate swine transport.

Just thought I’d give a friendly heads up.

Oh, and stay tuned, apparently there’s more new rules being put in place in March for interstate swine transport requirements that will supposedly make it much harder to move heritage breeds across state lines. The vet that referred to the upcoming changes didn’t have any information or advice for me other than “buckle up, we’re in for a ride” and that he was glad I was moving these hogs around in February.

/quote

From the sounds of it we’ve got some excitement in store for us heritage breeders.

#20662 Reply
    Blink Blink-thankful
    Participant

Yuck.
    Great! this is exactly what we need focus on…not CAFO’s, water qualities, sustainable practices ….
    Do you mean this is already in place or should I purchase a pig before March 2015? And we have to test pigs for all these things too?

Do you mind if I copy and post this to the pasture pig group?
    Thank you,

#20665 Reply
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

The stuff I posted is already in place, from the sounds of it they became effective on the first of the year as I’d talked to a couple states before the first and all they required at that time was a health certificate from the vet.

I see you posted it to the pastured pigs page, thanks, I was going to and then got sidetracked (yay goldfish memory!). Feel free to post it wherever you think it would do some good, I’d hate for anyone to get hung up from this.

I’ve talked to people within the state vets offices of TN, AR, OK, and TX and they all have the same requirements and are all telling me it’s directly from the .fed. Someone on the Heritage Purebred page found the actual legalese from the APHIS site, but, of course I can’t find the link right now while I’m looking for it.

Most of these rules only apply to the heritage breeds, even though they’re the ones that suffered the most damage from the PEDv.

My vet is *not* happy as apparently drawing blood is fairly traumatic for the animal (never done it before so I’m taking his word on it) and it adds a lot more work for him to get me the travel permits/health certificates. The days of $50 vet checks are disappearing in a hurry…I have the feeling I’m going to take a soaking on this one but I’m *not* going to change the price on my customers, that’d just be a crappy thing to do to someone else. I have 6 hogs that are leaving the state in the end of February, so I’ll try to update with the process as we go along.

The vet check itself should happen in the first week of February to give them a chance to get the tests done, results back, and get the certificates and travel permits to me before I have to leave but still be within the 30 permit expiration deadline.

I’m in the process of buying the small button style RFID ear tags and a reader for any future out of state sales as apparently the ones the vet is going to provide this time around are exactly what we try to avoid (metal bands). If I can get ’em cheap enough I may just start tagging all of my livestock in case of theft as well as any future out of state sales (I want to tag ’em as early as possible so it’s less painful for ’em rather than wait until I have an out of state sale).

#20667 Reply
    Duane Luzier
    Kelly Luzier

Those who raise goats have been dealing with this issue for years now and with a Premise ID electronic tag in order to deal with the illness Scrapie. It is for disease control in order that they can identify where the pig originated (premise) and most likely stems from the recent PEDs(Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea). Of course, not every hog will be travelling out of state and therefore it will not be necessary to tag them. The ear notches will still be needed in order to register the hog with the LBHA at this time and of course will be their ID # on the LBHA registry. I will bring this issue up to the board for further discussion in the near future. Thank you.

Kelly Luzier
    LBHA Treasurer

#20671 Reply
    Blink Blink-thankful
    Participant

I just got this. http://agriculture.vermont.gov/sites/ag/files/pdf/animal_health/ADT%20Rule%20Requirements%20for%20Swine.pdf
    And it looks like # 4 applies to us LBHA

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/9/71.19
    or number 5 on this.
    things are looking up. yeah!

#20682 Reply
    Member: WI jmcs_3
    jmcs_3
    Participant

Sam,
    Just a heads up. We were able to get the small button RFID tags from the State of WI free of charge. However, they lasted at the very most a few weeks. They either fell out, were ripped out, etc. If you are going to use them, I suggest trying them out on your feeder pigs or tagging them days before you are going to transport. Jason may have more info on the State providing those if you need it.
    Melissa

#20683 Reply

AN YMous
    #20688 Reply
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

That’s what I was afraid you were going to say Melissa. I hate ear tags, but, I was *hoping* they’d be a bit more durable than that!{g} I think the vet’s planning on using the metal bands, but, not entirely sure yet. I’ve got to get ahold of him here in a little bit to see what else I need to do on my end for him to have everything ready.

If you want to eMail me the contact information regarding the RFID tags I’d appreciate it, otherwise I’ll try giving you guys a call this weekend if you’re going to be around.

Thanks,

Sam

#20689 Reply
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Well, on a good note after talking to the vet. Wisconsin is Brucellosis free, so no test required for that. He’s checking on the pseudorabies status. If we’re real lucky we won’t even need to subject the piglets to a blood draw (which sounds terrifying and potentially dangerous to the animal).

Tags are still required, and he’s got the metal tags on order at this time.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by NorthernMarsh NorthernMarsh.
    #20692 Reply
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

As a follow up, Wisconsin is listed as pseudorabies free as well. No blood tests! Just a federally recognized ear tag and a health check and we’re good to go everywhere we want to go this time. Which is good, the blood test sounds like it’s *no* fun at all. Blood is drawn from the jugular, which can be quite dangerous to the pig.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Legalities – ear notching R we ready?
Your information: