title

Loosing pigment in nose

HOME Forums Hog Health Loosing pigment in nose

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ismail 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Member: WA
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

I have a gilt that is about 16 months old. In the past two weeks she has started to loose her black pigment in her nose and snout, at the base of her ears and under her front legs. Any idea what is causing this?

She has not changed her feed (which includes Purina Sow/Pig complete, orchard grass, flax seed, beet pellets soaked in goat dairy whey and apples/pears or other vegetables/fruits from the yard), she eats well and I’m not seeing any other signs.

Thank you!

#18147 Reply

president
    Participant

Just a color loss? No swollen areas, diamond shaped patches, raised skin? Also, does your pig feed have copper in it?

Richard
    President, LBHA

#18149 Reply
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

No patches or other weird-ities. I’ll look at her feed and see if there’s copper…
    I meant to mention that I have her sister and she shows no signs of loosing color.

#18150 Reply
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

In looking at the ingredient list of the pig feed, I see copper sulfate about a 1/3 of the way down the list of ingredients. I read up on it, so I’m sure it’s fine for what they use it for. She has been eating this feed since I got her at 8 weeks.

#18184 Reply

president
    Participant

I was asking about the copper because some animals can lose color if they don’t have it in their diet.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. Maybe it’s some sort of irritation? Is she rubbing herself against something in those areas?

Richard

#18187 Reply
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

Not that I can tell, it’s the end of her nose, the base of the snout where the nose connects, where her ears connect to her head and behind her front legs. It came on very sudden. I’m waiting for my vet to call me back. I’ll post when I do find out. Thanks.

#18195 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Behind the ears & front legs are common spots for lice eggs. They look like little white flecks. Will be very interested to hear what the vet says.

Liz

#18274 Reply
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

Ok, I can post some photos of my girl if someone can tell me how to do that.

I chatted with the vet (she hasn’t been out to see her yet, but saw photos). She stated maybe a fungus? We’re going to do a skin scraping to send to lab.
    Again, her sister doesn’t have anything like this going on and they live together. I have two goats that live with these girls as well.

#18299 Reply
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

Just wanted to give a quick update. My girl has stopped loosing color, but the color loss is still there. After much research, confering with my vet, we believe she may have vitiligo. We have put a shout out to two universities for help in confirming. The good news is her appetite is good, she’s happy and healthy.
    I can post some photos if it would be helpful for the members. Thanks.

#20320 Reply

Shubhankar

Sales and wants yes, you never know when it might come in handy, minutes of menteig could go on and then we could review pat minutes as not everyone saves them on their computer once Chris has sent them out !Discussion forum I don’t know, should be out on the bike instead of taslking on the computer, butthen it might come in handy over Christmas !!

#20329 Reply

Ismail

Hi Scott , great reviews what you have done .. i pusrahced my first E-cig nearly 2 weeks ago after watching your videos i decided on the Evolution , i bought 2 starter packs one for me and 1 for my wife , i have been very impressed and i havn’t had a real cigarette for nearly 2 weeks , The 2 minute cutout gets a bit annoying at times as they cut out even before the 5 second draw sometimes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Loosing pigment in nose
Your information: