title

New boar getting bullied

HOME Forums Hog Health New boar getting bullied

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Registrar Registrar 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I have a new boaar that’s a bit smallish…just 30 weeks old yesterday (March 4, 2016) and my two gilts are a year old last week. They weigh 300-325 each and I’m guessing the boar is around 150.

When I unloaded him yesterday he was all ready to0 go…chasing and trying to mount both of the gals. I was laughing and thinking he might need a stepladder, but he WAS trying, despite the gals running from him.

Today, 180 degree change. He’s not doing ANY chasing, and the gaals are bullying him. NOT just when he gets close…they will cross the pen to him to pick on him some.

Do I have a problem?

#21302 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Bump.

#21303 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

Hello Bob,
    When introducing animals, it is always nice to have a fence in-between so if there is any aggression they won’t be able to get to one another. If you don’t have that option and throwing them in the batter is the only way, then you will have some issues with the smaller ones getting picked on. This only lasts for about a week. Always provide extra water and food during those times so that your weaker fellow isn’t getting malnourished. Watch for any injuries!! Separate them quickly if you notice they are trying to “take him out” and I’m not meaning to dinner.

What we do on our farm is quarantine new animals for a minimum of 30 days regardless of the species. What is good for them on the farm they came from, could be devastating on our farm. It takes a bit of adjustment. With 30 days, you will be able to identify if there is an illness, parasite load and for them to get to know you and where their food comes from. Once that is over, we try to keep a fence in between them or hog panel for a week so they can rub noses and get to know one another. The new hog may have been “Top Hog” on his other farm, but is “Low Man on the Totem Pole” on his new farm. We had a Tamworth barrow that was slated to be sent to the butcher decide he was taking one of our girls with him. He slammed her into our concrete wall of the barn and broke her ham bone. They had been housed together for a time, but not long enough. It did give us a chance to sample Large Black pork and find out it was very tasty. Her pork chops were only 3 inches, but very tender.

If you have more ideas and would like to share them, please reply to this topic. It is one that all of us face at one time or another, how do YOU handle it?

Thanks Bob for the great question,
    Happy Hogging!
    Felicia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: New boar getting bullied
Your information: