title

PICS / INFO ON BREEDING LINES

HOME Forums General PICS / INFO ON BREEDING LINES

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  joekellie 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: AL
    joekellie
    Participant

HELLO , MY NAME IS JOE AND IM NEW THE LBH WORLD. I AM GOING TO RAISE LBH FOR MY FAMILY BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE BREEDING LINES. I HAVE LOOKED ON THEIS FORUM AND FOUND THE NAMES OF THE LINES BUT THAT IS ABOUT IT. I WOULD LIKE PICS OF THE LINES ,ALSO THE TRAITS OF THE LINES. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS , JOE

#18480 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi, Joe! Welcome to the world of Large Black Hogs! My suggestion to learn about the lines is to start talking to some of the breeders about what they have and what they like best about the different lines they have. But keep in mind that there is a lot of variety within a bloodline. The key is to get good stock from a reliable breeder. The Wolfe’s when they were in the LBH business (had to quit because of health reasons), they did a lot of line breeding with the Majestic and Prudence lines. Their lines were very reliable, good stock. The Pomeroy’s with their “Cornish” lines did a very good job of producing good stock. I am sure there are many more out there, but those are the ones I know about off the top of my head.

Another avenue you have is checking out the websites and Facebook pages of the members. There you will find a lot of pictures, although it is hard to tell the difference between bloodlines from pictures. I have one sow that is distinctive from my others because she is stockier in build. I don’t know that that is necessarily a characteristic of the Charlotte line, but she would be a good one to use to add more bulk to your herd.

Not sure that this was that helpful. Input from other breeders would be interesting to hear. You can also post questions on the LBH Association Facebook page as well as the Large Black Pig and Pastured Pigs Facebook groups.

Enjoy your pigs! They are wonderful animals to raise!!

Cyndie Phillippe, Old Oak Farm, http://www.oldoakfarm.com & https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Oak-Farm/420686031342668

#18482 Reply
    Member: AL
    joekellie
    Participant

CYNDIE, THANKS FOR THE INFO , IT HELPS ALOT . I WILL CHECK OUT OTHER BREEDERS AND THE FACEBOOK PAGES. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP. JOE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: PICS / INFO ON BREEDING LINES
Your information: