title

Pig Health during transportation

HOME Forums Hog Health Pig Health during transportation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Registrar Registrar 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: IN Andy VanNess
    Andy VanNess
    Participant

Anyone have advise/tips on maintaining a pigs health during long transportation? I’ll potentially be sending some gilts to a new home, that will require an approximate 10 hour trailer ride. I was just wondering what preventative measures I could take to help them sustain the trip without getting sick. I know keeping them enclosed to avoid the airflow of interstate travel would be a must, especially in cold temperatures, but just wondered what else could be done?
    Thanks!
    Andy

#22644 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Its a bit late…WAY late, actually…but I didn’t know the answer and hoped someone would chime in. Since they didn’t, I checked around and found Grazix-F is what you need. You can get it from Hubbard Feed: http://www.hubbardfeeds.com/product/grazix-f

#22646 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

As I told Bob when he asked about this post on the phone the other day, I have used the product on my husband too. For one or two pigs or hogs being transported either to the butcher or to a new farm, I take about a tsp – to couple tablespoons and shoot it in their mouth with a needle-less syringe. I have had great results with the swine (and husband too). The bottle that I have is Grazix Procine – W for weaned pigs. It is a solution that is ready to use through a 1:128 proportion. (1 ounce per gallon or 8ml per liter). For 400 pigs (weanlings), administer 2 bottles on day , 1 bottle on day 2 and one bottle on day 3. Use only with fresh, dechlorinated drinking water. Shake bottle before using. The Grazix F is for piglets newborn to weaning.

grazix information sheet

Above is a link to the information sheet that I received from a meeting put on by my local feed mill along with a representative from Hubbard Feeds here in Ohio.
    Happy Hogging!
    Felicia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Pig Health during transportation
Your information: