title

Registration question(s)

HOME Forums Buying or Selling Large Black Hogs Registration question(s)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I was just looking at your litter registration page, http://largeblackhogassociation.org/liter-registration/ to familarize myself with the necessary procedure for when my farm is producing little LBH piglets (soon, I hope!). and I see this:

“To use this form the parent hogs must be previously registered with the LBHA, in your name.

Followed by dropdown lists if sires and dams owned by the regestrating person. My gilt, soon to be a breeding sow I hope, is on the dam list but I don’t, and may not ever, own a boar. The first litter is planned to be by breeding to another farm’s bnoar if I can find one close with a good COI.

Given the requirement quoted above, that both the sire and dam must be registered in my name, how do I get the resulting litter registered?

#21244 Reply
    Duane Luzier
    Kelly Luzier

bbPress ANTISPAM: Referrer: In a case such as yours you can not use the online registration form When you have your LBHA sow bred by another breeder’s LBHA boar, you will be required to obtain a “Breeding Memorandum” signed by the owner of the boar who services your sow. The form will include the timeframe that the sow was exposed in order to identify which litter was the result. If utilizing semen, make sure to acquire a straw collected from an LBHA registered boar, your receipt will need the LBHA boar’s information that the semen was collected from. You would need to mail that information to the Registrar in order to identify the litter is purebred from LBHA registered stock. It may sound like a lot of work however it isn’t. We purchased an LBHA sow who had already been bred by the breeder’s LBHA boar and we made sure to follow up with a breeding memorandum and it was super simple. If you do NOT get the proper paperwork…it becomes an issue and will take more time than is necessary. I hope this answers your question. Thank you.

Kelly Luzier
    LBHA Treasurer

#21246 Reply
    Member: PA Duane Luzier
    Duane Luzier
    Participant

In a case such as yours you can not use the online registration form When you have your LBHA sow bred by another breeder’s LBHA boar, you will be required to obtain a “Breeding Memorandum” signed by the owner of the boar who services your sow. The form will include the timeframe that the sow was exposed in order to identify which litter was the result. If utilizing semen, make sure to acquire a straw collected from an LBHA registered boar, your receipt will need the LBHA boar’s information that the semen was collected from. You would need to mail that information to the Registrar in order to identify the litter is purebred from LBHA registered stock. It may sound like a lot of work however it isn’t. We purchased an LBHA sow who had already been bred by the breeder’s LBHA boar and we made sure to follow up with a breeding memorandum and it was super simple. If you do NOT get the proper paperwork…it becomes an issue and will take more time than is necessary. I hope this answers your question. Thank you.

Kelly Luzier
    LBHA Treasurer

#21247 Reply
    Duane Luzier
    Participant

I guess it’s called the Boar Service Certificate. It is below the litter registration link on the website. Breeding Memorandum is used when I register goats. Sorry.

#21248 Reply
    Duane Luzier
    Participant
    #21250 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Kelly.

What I REALLY want to do is find a boar whose pedigree works with my gilt’s pedigree to produce litters with a reasonable COI. Unfortunately, so far the only boars I have found reasonably close would result in COI of 16+…not what I was looking for out of my 7.2 gilt. I need to do SOMETHING fairly soon…she is one year old this coming Sunday and I’ll be losing time waiting much longer.

#21251 Reply

Richard

Why are you going to dilute your blood lines by breeding to CI numbers? Breed to conformation by looking at your sow and the boar. Don’t worry about CI instead concentrate good genes.

#21254 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Richard, I’m not going by either COI or conformation exclusively. I’m evaluating based on both. Also, if I find something some distance away all I have is COI and pictures…and some folks with good stock might be terrible photographers…LOL.

#21255 Reply

Richard

CI tells you nothing of real use when deciding to breed two animals together when in a small breeding population, except what you already know – the animals have some common ancestors. Breed based on characteristics and don’t be concerned with the 16% CI you mentioned above. Select the best offspring. If you go to get breeding stock and don’t like what you see in the animal or parents, walk away. A good animal with a high CI is still a good animal. A bad animal with a low CI is a bad animal. A low CI tells you nothing about how good the animal will be. Unless you really know what you are doing and understand the implications of diluting the gene pool just for the sake of it, don’t use CI.

#21257 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

So…if conformation is good, the breeding I asked about in this thread is good in your opinion?

Is this a good bloodline mix?

#21264 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Richard, I enjoyed ouir conversation yesterday and you helped me understand more about breeding stock selection thaan I had known before. Thanks.

Within reasonable distance to me to go and actually see a boar I might buy/borrow I found two possibilities that, based on my limited knowledge, may be good bloodline matches to pair with my gilt. What do you think of either of the following being mated with my gilt, Morning Glory Daisy 1/1 5798:

High Cove Super 8/3 6333
    Triangle K Super 22/6 5258

I don’t even know if these are available (I have aan email sent to the owners and am awaiting a reply) but if they are they are close enough to go and see the hogs before committing. What do you (or others?) think of these?

Thanks,
    Bob

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Registration question(s)
Your information: