title

Rooting Not grazing?

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Rooting Not grazing?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Seg Steve 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Member: WI Blink Blink-thankful
    Blink Blink-thankful
    Participant

Hi there,
    We have a sow at about a year old. She is rooting like crazy. However last year she was a good grazer. We have changed the /grain/feed source. And she was without pasture all winter, a very long winter. I She did get hay over the winter. I have been giving her a couple additional eggs each day to increase her protein. Do you think she is missing something in her diet..minerals? Is she anxious because she is a new mama. Has anyone had this happen? Our other pigs are mostly grazing. We have a lot of grazing space but are reluctant to put her in there, we don’t want her to root up everything like she has in her current pasture.
    thanks,
    April

#20769 Reply
    Seg
    Steve

Hi, I know it’s been a while since you posted this but I just came across it today and was curious how your rooting problem turned out. The only time I’ve had rooting problems with my pigs is when they run out of forage to graze on. We’ve had drought for 5 years in a row so it sort of happens every year now. Being a new mother could cause anxious behavior like you said. I had a sow that became very anxious during her first time but later she became an excellent mother.

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Rooting Not grazing?
Your information: