title

Rooting Not grazing?

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Rooting Not grazing?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by jmcs_3 jmcs_3 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: WI Blink Blink-thankful
    Blink Blink-thankful
    Participant

Hi there,
    We have a sow at about a year old. She is rooting like crazy. However last year she was a good grazer. We have changed the /grain/feed source. And she was without pasture all winter, a very long winter. I She did get hay over the winter. I have been giving her a couple additional eggs each day to increase her protein. Do you think she is missing something in her diet..minerals? Has anyone had this happen? Our other pigs are mostly grazing. We have a lot of grazing space but are reluctant to put her in there, we don’t want her to root up everything like she has in her current pasture.
    thanks,
    April

#18568 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

If she is rooting and didn’t before, I would think that would indicate minerals or something missing from her diet. You mentioned that you changed feed. I would go back and really look at the differences between the ingredients of those two feeds. You can also offer some free choice salt and minerals to supplement if needed.

#18582 Reply
    Member: WI jmcs_3
    jmcs_3
    Participant

If grass is available and ground is not wet at all, I would agree that there is a lack of mineral and also agree to look at the difference between the feed ingredients.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Rooting Not grazing?
Your information: