title

Weight question

HOME Forums Hog Health Weight question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by heritagemeadowsfarm heritagemeadowsfarm 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I have three gilts, a registered LB and two LB/Berkshire hybrids, all born 2/28/2015. I will be butchering one of the hybrids soon and checked weight today thinking the hybrids were close to my chosen slaughter weight of 300-325 lbs. Boy was I disappointed (was wanting a pork crown roast from one for Christmas dinner!) when the largest came in at 245 lbs. At this age, 9 months in 4 days, isn’t that pretty light, or am I just expecting too much? 21-23 days is about all I have to still have Porkchop supply Christmas dinner. If I can get 2.2 to 2.5 lbs per day packed on I’ll make it, but thats beginning to look doubtful.

Thoughts?

#21160 Reply
    Member: IN heritagemeadowsfarm
    heritagemeadowsfarm
    Participant

Are they pasture raised or confined? How much do you feed them per day? Do you feed them store bought feed or custom milled? What protein content is your feed? Did you get the weight from scales or measurements? Was the one you got the weight from on the bottom of the pecking order?

#21161 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

245 was the biggest of the hybrids…the other was 225 (weights are by measurement). Feed is 16% protien commercial grower, and the feed has gone up as the girls have grown…currently getting22-23 lbs per day among the 3. They aren’t close penned…about a quarter acre (that they have pretty much stripped).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles.
    #21163 Reply
    Member: IN heritagemeadowsfarm
    heritagemeadowsfarm
    Participant

Personally I have never gotten very accurate on my weights by measuring and have been off by as much as 20%. Several things will play into how swine grow. Genetics is first, some just grow faster and larger than others and gilts barrows and boars all grow at different rates. Nutrition is also key, you could always bump up your protein to 18% and maybe be able to pack a few extra pounds on, fastest is to throw some eggs from your chickens in with their feed. Nutrition enhances the genetic base but cannot undo less than desirable genetics. Health plays into overall weight gain as well, an under weight swine may need to be wormed as worms effect weight gain. Environment is another factor that can play into account swine don’t do well with drafts and dusts. The larger swine get the more feed it takes to gain a pound of weight.Typically toward the end of finishing you would expect to get 1.75 lb/day weight gain off a normal finish diet but can increase that by increasing your inputs of lb of feed and protein and any excess protein will be wasted out by the urine. I grow mine out for 12 months on pasture and feed the same amount of feed to each head of swine and have seen my hogs range from 250 – 310 lbs when they go in for processing. At any rate you will still have a nice crown roast at Christmas.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Weight question
Your information: