title

700lb boar still has wolf teeth, removal?

HOME Forums Hog Health 700lb boar still has wolf teeth, removal?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sweet-Brook Sweet-Brook 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Member: Colorado Sweet-Brook
    Sweet-Brook
    Participant

Hello all and thanks in advance! We discovered about two weeks ago that our boar still has his upper and lower wolf teeth. I should have noticed when we first picked him up and doing regular checks on him, but we did not. They are getting large and are about an inch to inch and a half in length. He lashed out at our sow and gashed her ear, and that is how I discovered them.

I believe that it was a simple oversight from the breeder and do not fault them for it.

So how do I trim/remove them? Our boar is about 700 Lbs. Should I just get the vet out and put him under to trim them off? Ask a neighbor to hold him down and get the 20Lb sledgehammer? Or can I get something to put him under myself and trim them off?

With no doubt I see that this can be a problem in the future, as I do not need him to damage other animals, but more importantly a person.

Thanks again
    Michael

#20551 Reply

Gary Rothstein

My advice is to call your vet. If he/she can’t or won’t put him under, I don’t see any way to do it with a 700lb boar. My boar is around 375-400 and he’d be a monster if he had the attitude to be. I would shoot him before I’d try to cut those teeth out with him unsedated. Probably not the answer you were looking for but, it’s just my opinion. Is there any way you can minimize the other hogs’ exposure to him? In other words, keep him in an individual area, maybe side by side with the other hogs but not so close that they are at risk?

#20559 Reply
    Sweet-Brook
    Participant

Gary,
    Thank you for your response. I had considered the butcher and replace him, the separate area is a really good idea too that I had not thought of. He is really sweet, just somedays he like to push the others away from the food and that is how the sow was cut. As with anything there is what we wish for and then there is reality. I have not called the vet yet, on my list to do before next year (lol). I have been working on a sow/farrow area and house with a oil burner to heat it and the hogs water (plan to put that in a later post with pics). It would not take much to make it for a permanent boar pen too.

I will update after talking to the vet.

thanks again!

#20563 Reply

Val vetter

Hi Michael,

I don’t know if the breeder “overlooked” it – or if it just seems to be SOP *not* to trim or clip “wolf” teeth on heritage breeds. That’s really more of a practice that big commercial hog “farms” practice.

We have a boar who is probably close to the size of your boar – we know he’s well over 500#, but the tape measure is now too short and we don’t have a scale. He still has his natural teeth as do all of our pigs. We don;t clip or trim them at all as it’s really not a process that is necessary on a small farm where animals are not forced into small, confined areas with nothing to do besides pick on each other.

The only time we’ve noticed anything remotely like a problem is during breeding where the boar’s teeth *sometimes* scrape the sows back, but never severely – nothing more than a scratch or abrasion. Actually, we’ve had smaller gilts and barrows do more damage (usually to ears) than our bog boar ever has. None of them have ever been needing of the slightest first aid.

Gary actually brought up a very good point – if your boar “mean”? The general consensus with farm animals seems to be “be mean, and get eaten” – that is – only breed and continue the genetics of animals with calm dispositions. Our big boar is quite used to us entering his pen – even while breeding – and he’ll lay down for a belly rub most of the time.

Perhaps most folks don;t report problems is because many LBH and other heritage raisers have their pigs on pasture – where there is no – or limited – “feeding time. We do feed our even though they’re in the woods and aside from introductory scuffles when we introduce a new or previously-separated pig – the only time they interact aggressively is while being fed. We counter this by placing food at multiple places with some distance between them.

I guess what I’m getting at is if you have an aggressive boar, it’s *him* that needs to go, not his teeth. With a 700# animal as powerful as a boar, even without “wolf” teeth, they can damage another pig – or a person – just by swinging their head against a leg or pushing you until you fall.

I don;t know if that helps, but please do tell us what you come up with as others may want to know as well!

Val

#20626 Reply
    Sweet-Brook
    Participant

Val,
    Thank you too for your response. I finally talked with the vet and they gave the same input. We have not been worried about it as he is super sweet, and does scratch the sow but nothing more than a scratching when he is after her. He is free to range in a two acre area that has a walnut tree, I have wondered this last year how he ate those nuts so easy! so we are going to leave him just as he is. I now am considering not trimming the next litters back teeth. I am going to research a little more for my knowledge on how long those teeth will get before making up my mind. the next litter is due about the 30th of Jan.

Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: 700lb boar still has wolf teeth, removal?
Your information: