title

Breeding Lines

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Breeding Lines

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by NorthernMarsh NorthernMarsh 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I am new to Large Blacks and am trying to learn about the available breeding lines. If there is documentation out there on this already, please feel free to point me in that direction. If not, perhaps someone on this forum can help.

I’d like to know what different breeding lines are out there for Large Blacks and what the reputations are for each of the lines. For example, is one line known for mothering ability while another is known for piglet vigor and another for carcass quality? Are certain lines too closely related to breed between?

Any help would be appreciated!

#20890 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Bump.

#20944 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

I can’t answer for all lines, but, I can give a brief rundown on the lines I’m currently breeding.

Noble Sam: pretty sure they’re the clowns of the LBH family. Long, lean(er), long faces, with huge ears. Temperament is great: very friendly and eager to please with more than a little sense of humor. (My boar is a goof and just loves it when I’m out working on the fence, it means he can steal my tools and make me play with him). Also great around the piglets, if the sow is out eating the piglets are usually piled on him.

Defender: A little more aloof than the Noble Sam, but still very pleasant to be around. Shorter in height, length, face, and has smaller ears than my Noble Sam boar. Haven’t had piglets out of him yet so I don’t know what his temperament’s going to be like with them. I’m betting he’ll be fine with them.

Warbler: Great mothering instinct, very friendly and docile. Their hair tends to be a little more wiry and their ears a smidge smaller and they have a finer build (which you should expect dealing with the difference between boar and sow lines).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Breeding Lines
Your information: