title

Breeding Stock vs. Butcher Pigs

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Breeding Stock vs. Butcher Pigs

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jackie Dugan 2 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

aaronhouk
    Participant

I’ve read that it is important to only register and breed the best hogs, and butcher the rest. Otherwise, the breed gets dumbed down or experiences a reduction in quality.

I’m looking for video, photos, and literature that will help me understand which ones to keep, which ones to sell, and which ones to eat.

Anybody have a point in the right direction?

Thanks

#18378 Reply
    Member: WI
    Harvey Work
    Participant

Aaron,
    That is a tough one! I agree whole heatedly we need an intense selection program, rather than just multiplying Large Blacks for the money. Unfortunately some of the things we need to be selecting for are not all visual such as conformation, structure, proper feet and legs. Such things as growth rate, mothering ability, number of pigs weaned are all economic traits that also enter in to the puzzle. I am finding some interesting differences within the given breeding lines. Then, there are a myriad of different ways individuals are feeding and raising the pigs. As a LBHA board member I am going to initiate a conversation addressing your needs and concerns. As an avid breeder of Large Blacks my desire is to see the LBHA hold a pig workshop in a given location to talk, look, and share addressing these issues. If there are those out there that would be interested in such please let me know, Harvey at carlenafarms@yahoo.com Good thoughts, Aaron!
    Harvey Work

#18379 Reply

aaronhouk
    Participant

I’m thinking the Mother Earth News Fair might be good places.
    They have one in Washington, one in PA, and one in Kansas.

#18381 Reply
    Member: WI
    Harvey Work
    Participant

I am open to do a Natural Pig workshop anywhere in the U.S. Anyone with suggestions just needs to contact me. It appears the need is there. The response we have gotten from our previous workshops has been very favorable, telling me more people need the opportunity to attend. Best case scenario is to hold one where we can go on a “pasture walk” on someone’s farm and look at live Large Blacks. The Large Black has so much to offer, very versatile, but as you have alluded to, we need to select for even more superior animals. That demands education and a breeding plan.

#20891 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Bump. Did anything ever come of this?

#20943 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Unfortunately, no. Mr. Work unexpectedly passed away last month. I’d like to think there’s something in the works though (I’m just a member, not on the board so I don’t know what’s going on behind the curtain any more than you do :p)

I know when I was delivering my Large Black breeders/feeders all over the South last winter (just call me Johnny Piggyseed, on second thought, no…don’t :d) I met a lot of people who had a lot of information to share, especially regarding their regions of the US.

I would really like to see something along the lines of what the Jacob Sheep Breeder’s Assoc. is doing develop for the LBHA. Annual General Meetings. The LSBA is having this year’s meeting in Wisconsin (woohoo!) so there’ll be sheep from all over the country for people to ooh and ahh over, sales to get bloodlines moved around, workshops on shearing, etc. I know I’ll be picking up some prime stock from MO and possibly Mass to increase my flock diversity.

It would be amazing if we could do something similar for the LBHs.

#21174 Reply

Jackie Dugan

bbPress ANTISPAM: Referrer: I am new at this, I have one boar and two sows, both I think are pregnant. I got into this to breed and make a little money, not so sure how that is going, the money part of it. I too would be interested in learning more on how to breed for sales and to have more information on caring for my hogs. I don’t let them out to graze, due to the coyotes, mountain lions and bob cats in my area. I do feed them alphalfa hay, hog feed and vegetables of all sorts. I have been guessing on if I am feeding them enough of the right food. I did purchase a supplement food for the pregnant ones. If anyone has any knowledge or suggestions they would be willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I live in Benson Arizona and have not found anyone in our area with Large Blacks. I also would like to know if my hogs can be registered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Breeding Stock vs. Butcher Pigs
Your information: