title

Can pigs get chickenpox from people?

HOME Forums Hog Health Can pigs get chickenpox from people?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Registrar Registrar 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

In the last few days I have come down with Shingles. I know it can be transmitted to people who have had Chickenpox, and can be transmitted as Chickenpox to people who have never had Chickenpox.

Since swine are suseptable to many human diseases I am wondering…can pigs “catch” Chickenpox from someone with Shingles, specifically can my pigs catch it from me?

Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S. Don’t tell me to Google it…I already have. In this case, Google was NOT my friend.

#21735 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

I’m sorry to hear that you have Shingles. I know it can be very painful.

The first response that I received from my vet was no, it shouldn’t be contagious to swine. He is currently working with an emergency patient and will get back to me today or this evening with a more definite answer.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Felicia

#21736 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Felicia. It’ll get better. Thankfully it is just painful…really, really painful, not long term dangerous. Thanks for the info so far. I hope further info from your vet stays good.

#21737 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

My vet called back and said that neither Shingles nor Chickenpox can be transmitted from humans to swine.

Take care and recover swiftly.

-Felicia

#21738 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

Apparently my post didn’t go before.

My vet called back and said that neither chickenpox nor shingles can be transmitted from a human to swine.

I hope you feel better soon.

-Felicia

#21739 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Website is acting up (Surprise!)…my first post went thru immediately but the thank you post took a while to show up.

Thanks again. I’ll get better soon…3-5 weeks actually…but just wanted to make sure I didn’t infect the pigs.

#21740 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

My post went through, but didn’t show up on Firefox, so I switched to Internet Explorer. Poof, there it was. I will have to reboot Firefox.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Can pigs get chickenpox from people?
Your information: