title

Castration age

HOME Forums Hog Health Castration age

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I understand that ideally piglets should be castrated at 10 days or less, however…if, for some reason, boar piglets get to 28 days before castration, can they be castrated using the method in this Cornell University/Kingbird Farm video?

Thanks in advance for the info.

#21574 Reply
    Member: IN Andy VanNess
    Andy VanNess
    Participant

I have routinely castrated at 3-4 weeks of age with no complications. When I’ve tried to do it at an earlier age, I have difficulty getting ahold of the little testicles. I’ve not tried the method in the video, with legs held downward, but I’m going to try it and castrate at 7-10 days on my next litter and see how it goes. My opinion though, 28 days is not to late for castration. I do like for them to be a week old at least, I feel they are well established by then.

#21575 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks for the quick info Andy. It is much appreciatred.

#21644 Reply
    Member: OK Phillip & Dena Parham
    Phillip & Dena Parham
    Participant

Bob,

We have to castrate at 10 days or less due to AWA standards. On rare occasions we have to do it later, if someone backs out of a boar deal. We “always” attempt to align castration with the Farmer’s Almanac dates, with great success when done this way. As far as late castration, we have seen no ill effect. Good luck.

Phillip and Dena

#21645 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Phillip. The AWA standards is one thing I’m having issues with. I’m considering applying for AWA certification but there are one or two things that I have a problem with, and 10 day castration is one of them. I’m not sure what I’m going to do in the future regarding AWA.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Castration age
Your information: