title

Feeding Apple Cider Pulp

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Feeding Apple Cider Pulp

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Does anyone have experience with feeding apple cider pulp to pigs? I have a source for that and have found some info on the internet, but nothing real specific. My impression is that it is a good food for pigs within limits. Don’t overfeed it-but how much is too much? It also spoils fairly quickly so I am thinking about freezing some of it which will depend on available freezer space. Any insight on this would be helpful. thanks.
    Cyndie Phillippe

#18249 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

When we make apple sauce we always give the pigs the pulp – they love it. Earlier this year we picked up several 5 gallon buckets of semi rotten apples. We just fed 5 gallons a day to all our crew therefore spreading it out. They will love AC pulp but yes, just spread it out over several days. Just like with us, too much of a good thing can give us an upset stomach.

Liz

#18250 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Thanks. Everything in moderation and no sudden changes in diet is a good rule of thumb. I did some more internet research on it last night and one person said he fed it 60 pulp/40 feed by weight and didn’t do any sudden changes and they did well. It is also good for cows and chickens so I have lots of mouths I can feed with it. Concensus, dependent upon weather of course, is that it will last about 1 week before spoiling. If it does start spoiling before I can feed it all, it can just go on the garden. One caution which I only found in one discussion was over the potential hazard of the small amount of cyanide that is in the seeds. But people have been feeding this to livestock for a long time and animals in the wild eat apples, so the argument fizzles out. Most thought that the seeds pass through the animal anyway except in ruminants. And even with ruminants, there is no documented connection between apples and death. I don’t plan on feeding the cows much anyway. Most of it I want for the pigs.
    Cyndie Phillippe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Feeding Apple Cider Pulp
Your information: