title

Introduction From Australia

HOME Forums General Introduction From Australia

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Hello everyone. I have been breeding the Large Black in the land of Oz. for 21 years and was interested to find you now have your own association. As we are a small band of enthusiasts all over the world I thought it might be nice to ‘chat’ from time to time. The wonderful world of the web now makes all this possible. The LB came here with the British pioneering farmers in 1908 and our bloodlines are quite separate now as we have very strict quarantine laws here and no more imports were allowed after the 1950’s. We have very few breeders and there is no association to represent the breed. There is a rare breeds association but it is not very active. If anyone feels like a trip to Australia you will be warmly welcomed.

Best wishes,

Christine

#17432 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

Hello Christine!

We look forward to getting to know you better and any other breeders from Australia. I would love to know what lines you have there and how raising the hogs may be different than what we do here in the States. Have their characteristics changed at all from the climate?

Thank you for posting!

Felicia Krock

#17433 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi Felicia,

I think we all feel that this breed is the best and so I can say I believe they are very adaptable. I run mine free-range and they have paddocks of around one to two acres. They have shelters in each paddock and wallows and sprinklers in the sheds for when the heat is extreme. They have straw in the colder months. I run twenty five sows and six boars and the lines are Smithy and Black Jack and Tess, Busy Maid, Gypsy, Black Lady, Lady, Lady Christina and Princess. Our registration body allows what they call ‘grading up’where a pig of unknown ancestry can be inspected and allowed to be put into the herd book as an ‘appendix’ animal. The pig is then crossed back to registered animals and soon is recognised as a pure bred. I find this completely unacceptable as I believe by cross breeding we will loose the characteristics of the breed. Unfortunately as we are unable to import any genetic material we are having to do more close breeding because we don’t have enough breeders from which to get stock.

cheers,

Christine

P.S. I suppose I should be calling them hogs on this forum but I find the term really strange as we never use it. :0)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Introduction From Australia
Your information: