title

Is this a good bloodline mix?

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Is this a good bloodline mix?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I have two gilts about ready for first breeding. One is a registered LBH and the other is a LBH/Berkshire hybrid. Both were born 2/28/2015 and have the same sire but (obviously) different sows. The intent is to breed both to an LBH boar, with the breeding quality purebred LBH’s sold as breeders and the rest of that litter plus the litter from the LBH/Berkshire hybrid sold as feeders.

I had been planning to breed to a “borrowed” or loaner boar from another LBH breeder who is fairly close and MAY still do so but its becoming more probable that we will be buying a LBH boar if we can find the right one close by and affordable. Now to the question:

For those with a good understanding of bloodlines, COI, etc, please look at this potential boar/cow breeding and tell me if it is good, so-so, or a bad idea:

Boar LBHA registration #6102 and sow LBHA registration #5708.

Thanks in advance for y’all’s input!

#21223 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Edit to previous post: Sow is #5798 not 5708. Sorry.

#21225 Reply
    Member: Maine Thomas Barry
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

You need to send the full names (Rouillard Prudence 6/1 ###) in order to be able to use the search on the LBHA website.

#21226 Reply
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

nevermind, I forgot you can search the number and get the name!

#21227 Reply
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

16.1 is not the best COI, but it’s acceptable. We try to aim for around 10 for sellable breeding stock.

The problem is the sire of the boar you’re thinking about using and the Grand-sire of your sow are the same pig… I have heard from other breeders that have mentored us that under 20 is deemed acceptable these days. Can anyone else corroborate this statement? But like I said, we shoot for closer to 10.

Why not try and AI her?

#21229 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I considered AI, but one reason I’m looking to bhuy a boar, especially with only 2 gilts, is that I’m just a bit of a prepper…Not Doomsday Prepper extreme, but leaning, and I’m looking to make us self sufficient, not having to rely on any outside inputs to provide food. That leaves out a borrowed sire unless really, really close or AI. Also, I looked for semen and find it hard to find for LBHs. Finally, I’ve never done AI on any species of animal despite raising several and wouldn’t haave a clue what I was doing. I’ve read in several reliable sources that AI for swine has a relatively low success rate, and combine that with my having to learn thru YouTube videos and OJT I’m just not confidant I’d be successful.

I found the search function with just the registration number after my post(s)…Probably about when you did…hehehe. I saw that COI and figured if my gilt were a 10-12-14 the 16 would be OK, but as I’m starting at 7.2 I’d rather not have the litter that much higher. Though the boar I found is close and priced well I guess I’ll pass on that one and keep looking.

As an aside, I bought these pigs last April…the one registered LBH gilt and two sister LBH/Berkshires, all born February 28 of last year. There is the one hybrid I mentioned above and the other that I got back from the butcher this morning that had a carcass weight of 193 with only about 12 lbs of fat coming back from the butcher for lard. I guess I’m doing something right!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Is this a good bloodline mix?
Your information: