title

"Jowly"?

HOME Forums Hog Health "Jowly"?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I’ve seen the term “jowly” used to decide if I am overfeeding my gilt…but never a description of just what “too jowly” is. Pigs have jowls, but what is too much jowls? I’ve been told this is an indicator of a pig being too fat to breed, as it indicates possible fat around the ovaries which is a bad thing, but I have no idea what the difference between jowls and too much jowls look like.

Description, or even better, pictures, please?

#20987 Reply
    Registrar
    Registrar

Excellent question!! Too jowly would be the extra jiggly double jowl which should be accompanied by double fat rolls around her tail base. Still not a very good description, I know, but it is a start. Also a good indicator is if she looks pregnant all the time even if she hasn’t been with a boar. That would be time to cut back on feed. 😉 Let’s hope we get more responses before I can come up with some pictures of just right and too much. (also these are in my opinion, each breeder looks for different sizes, weights and qualities.)
    Happy Hogging!
    Felicia

#20989 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I know she’s not pregnant because she was born on Feb 28, but since I am new to pigs I have no idea what “looks pregnant even if she hasn’t been with a boar” would look like, any more than I would know what “too jowly” looks like.

Maybe someone will come up with pics soon.

#21235 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

No help? No followup? Sheesh…

#21241 Reply
    Duane Luzier
    Kelly Luzier

bbPress ANTISPAM: Referrer: I don’t have any pictures to post because we feed to keep our breeders on the healthy side, therefore I can’t help with any examples. I think the Registrars explained it quite well. If she has fat jowls then she’s too fat.

#21290 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Like Kelly said, most of us are careful to keep our breeding stock in condition. I went digging around the internet and found a picture that may show you what an overweight LBH looks like.

Especially since I don’t know who this farmer is, what his goals are for these pigs, etc I want to stress: This pig is *not* badly out of condition.

It just happened to be the first LBH picture that I found that is overweight enough to see the “jowly” look that we talk about, a seriously overweight pig will look like it swallowed an inner tube. Another sure fire indicator of an overweight pig is a flappy back end…or as my daughter calls ’em…a “clappy butt”, ’cause it looks like the butt is trying to “clap” when they walk.

#21294 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Hmmm…looking at that pic I’m thinking my LBH gilt IS overweight…not real badly overweight, but overweight. I’ll post some pics in a little while to get specific opinions.

#21462 Reply
    Member: Maine Thomas Barry
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

We inherited a sow who was super overweight and bred. She farrowed 10 pigs, 4 still born. We can’t be positive but we thought part of the problem was her weight. During lactation and after weaning we tried our best to get her in better condition, but it’s hard to slim down a 5 year old Large Black sow to good condition. Her next breeding it took her 2 or 3 cycles to successfully breed with the boar – possibly another long term problem of being overweight. She eventually farrowed 12 pigs and lost many of them again to various problems. Moral of the story is, once your sow is too far gone in the overweight department it’s difficult to get them back to where you want them to be. She definitely lost weight, but fat in the inner body cavity is much harder to lose than external fat – for any mammal. I might have a photo…

#21463 Reply
    Member: Maine Thomas Barry
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

I can’t figure out how to put a photo in here, but if you look at our website… largeblackpigsofmaine.com you will see a photo gallery and there’s a picture of the fat sow right when we got her. It’s #23/26 in the gallery. Her jowls are huge and her shoulders and hams are starting to have that look where they hang over her legs.. a good indicator that she’s too fat. She’s also clearly bred – only a week or so short of farrowing, but still very flabby.

Not sure if this link will work but here’s the photo: http://www.largeblackpigsofmaine.com/#!Maude enjoying some carrots/zoom/cjg9/dataItem-ijiwo9d4

#21471 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Thomas. From looking at Maude I’d say my Large Black is just a bit heavy but my LB/Berkshire hyubrid needs to go on a diet after she farrows…and day now! Actual due date based on 114 day gestation is day after tomorrow…Monday.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: "Jowly"?
Your information: