title

Judging weight using measurements

HOME Forums Pork Sales Judging weight using measurements

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Shiner Pork Shiner Pork 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jamesptoothman
    Participant

I read somewhere that you can use a pigs measurements to estimate its weight. Does anyone have information on exactly how that is done? My fat little guys don’t like me trying to pick them up to estimate their weight and to be quite frank I haven’t been able to get them off the ground in three months. But it is fun to try. My pigs are great they love chasing me around the pasture, it is like playing tag with pigs.

#18402 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

Get a Pig Tape. Fairly accurate as far as I can tell. Large Blacks are considered “Long” pigs on the tape. You measure their girth right behind the front legs. The only drawback is it only goes up to 247 pounds. It tells you how to add onto it at that point, but I’d just like a longer tape! Anyway, it works.

Ross

P.S. Weight: How To Weigh Your Pet Pig Without a Scale

If you cannot get your pot belly pig on a scale, you can still weigh her by using the formula below. You will need a measuring tape similar to those used by tailors. The formula is not exact, but it comes within about three percent of the actual weight. The formula is as follows:

1. Girth Measurement Take the heart-girth measurement. Your measuring tape needs to go around the body just behind the front legs and over the shoulder area. As an example for you I will use the measurements of Flower. Her girth measurement is 43 inches.

2. Square the result (Multiply the measurement by itself). Example: The measurement was 43 inches. 43 X 43 = 1,849.

3. Length Measurement: Measure the length of your pig. Start at the top of his or her head right in between the ears and measure down to the start, or base, of the tail (not the end of the tail). Flower’s length is 39 inches.

4. Girth Result X Length: Take the girth measurement result (in the example above this was 1,849) and multiply that times the length of your pig. In our example this would be: 1,849 X 39 = 72,111.

5. Weight Calculation: Divide this result by 400, and you’ll have a weight accurate to within about three percent. In our example: 72,111 divided by 400 = 180 pounds. Factoring in the 3% variance (5.4
    pounds), this means Flower weighs between 174.6 and 185.4 pounds.

Credit for this formula goes to the Old Farmer’s Almanac 1993

#18403 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

The formula says “Pot Bellied Pigs”, but it works on all pigs.

Ross

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Judging weight using measurements
Your information: