title

measuring weight question

HOME Forums General measuring weight question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sweet-Brook
    Sweet-Brook

We used the string method for measuring (length X girth X girth / 400) to estimate weight on our butcher hog and it was almost exact, that hog was a mongrel mix we picked up for butcher. I have read that it does not work for Large Blacks. Has anyone done that before a slaughter and compared the difference. I am going to measure one of our gilts in March when I take her to the butcher but was wondering if anyone else has compared measuring this way against butcher weight.
    Thanks!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  largebla.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  largebla.
    #20461 Reply
    Member: WI jmcs_3
    jmcs_3
    Participant

We use the string method on our hogs. The string is a better estimate as our hogs are longer than the hog tape allows! Right now this works for us, however if you are strictly pork production, I think it would be important to have a livestock scale. Melissa

#20619 Reply
    Member: OK Jennifer Ledlow
    Jennifer Ledlow
    Participant

We measured our sow at 376 with the string method and the butcher weighed her at 350, so it wasn’t exact but it was nice to have a general idea.

#20880 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Newbie question…explain the string method please.

I know (or think) the girth is measured immediately behind the front shoulders (I know…front…shoulder…redundant) but don’t know the starting/ending point for length. I also need tpo know the mathematical equation to use.

#20942 Reply
    Member: WI NorthernMarsh
    NorthernMarsh
    Participant

Bob,

The way it was explained to me:
    Wrap the string around the torso/rib cage, keeping it as vertical and straight as you can, directly behind the front shoulders. Length should be from the base of the skull, between the ears down along the spine to the base of the tail.

Keep all measurements in inches to get the answer in pounds.

Hope that helps,

Sam

#20949 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Just what I was looking for Sam. Thanks.

Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: measuring weight question
Your information: