title

New to the forum and introducing myself

HOME Forums General New to the forum and introducing myself

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Shiner Pork Shiner Pork 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Howdy everyone, my names Chad Belvill, I live in northern new mexico and am looking at beginning to raise LBH and possibly tamworths as well, but it looks like LBH may be best suited for pasturing and foraging in my high sunny climate. Few questions i have really involve the bloodlines out there. What are the most common bloodlines available, do they breed fairly true across lines and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each line. Id appreciate knowing what you work with as well…to take any bias into account (wink).

Thanks a lot, glad i found this site and look forward to getting to know y’all and getting some breeding stock soon! Also if you could state the type of system you operate: pastured, penned, combination, organic, non-gmo, ABF HF etc. Thanks!

#17473 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

Hey Chad,

The lines… Majestic, Prudence, Longfellow, Defender, Buck, Matilda, Super, Charlotte, to name a few. We’re in the Majestic/Prudence, Longfellow lineages, but have a bit of all these a few generations back. Everyone has their opinion of characteristics and traits, strengths and weaknesses. As you get into it, you’ll discover, through conversation, what those are and you’re good to take them all with a grain of salt.

We operate a combination system, some pasture, some penned, depending on what we’re talking about. We don’t specifically go after a specific market right now. In our area people just want good, fresh, reliable food that happens to taste great and be better for them.

Ask questions, do your homework and you’ll do fine. Offer a good product at a fair price and help new comer’s along the way and you’ll do even better. Take care, welcome to “our world” and let me know if we can help out.

Ross Tieken

Shiner Prairie FarmWorks

Shiner, Texas

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: New to the forum and introducing myself
Your information: