title

Pig nipple waterers on new pigs

HOME Forums Hog Health Pig nipple waterers on new pigs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bob Hayles Bob Hayles 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I have two new pigs…a 7 month old boar and a two month old, just weaned feeder.

My watering system here is to use watering nipples…both high for older pigs and low for the piglets. I started a year aago with three piglets about the same age as this feeder and they took right to the water nipples, but both new pigs are having trouble getting with the system. Am I worrying too much…they will figure it out watching the other pigs…or is there a training method for water nipples?

#21300 Reply
    Member: Maine Thomas Barry
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

We trained ours with peanut butter! We were trying to get some adult pigs onto a water nipple for the first time, and they just couldn’t figure it out. They most likely will learn from watching others, but in order for them to learn you have to take away the water bowl, which isn’t always great. Peanut butter did the trick. It took at least a jar over the course of a day or so, putting some on there, them licking it off and getting the water at the same time, but they figured it out~

#21301 Reply
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Thomas…I’ll try that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Pig nipple waterers on new pigs
Your information: