title

Pig split

HOME Forums Hog Health Pig split

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

One of my Large Blacks did a split on the ice the other day , both her back legs were right out straight perpendicular to her body . She was either in a lot of pain or extremely frustrated judging by her squeals . She was like that for probably 5 minutes until I could scoot her to some dry ground . She is walking around fine now but a little bow legged . This morning I noticed she had a large black and blue on her underside . If anyone else has had this problem it would be great to get some input on what to do . I’m wondering weather to call in a vet or just give it some time . Thanks Josh

#17676 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Oh my goodness! Sorry but I had to laugh at your description! If she is walking around I am guessing she has not done any permanent damage. Just like us doing the same thing – we would be sore for a while 🙂

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

#17677 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

I hope she is not injured and all is well but it does bring to mind the old saying, “as graceful as a pig on ice”! 😉

#17680 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Thanks for the concern Liz and Steph . She’s doing better now but she’s still a little sore. She gave birth to 10 piglets today at some point between 12 and 6 this morning . Sadly only 4 survived . I’m not sure how many were still born or if she laid on them . The one thing I do know is that they never have them when YOU think they’re gonna . I always make sure there is plenty of straw in there but sometimes that’s not enough , and I’m not a big fan of farrowing crates so I guess that’s how it goes . I’m sure she’ll be back to her self in no time , also being in her own pen where there’s no ice is a big help too . Plus , being by herself the next time she falls she won’t have to look around so quick to make sure nobody else saw it !!

#17698 Reply

jean rouillard
    Participant

Joshua, Sorry about the loss of piglets. The saying is true that the gestation period for pigs is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days and 3 in the morning! Our pigs are out in the pasture all winter in their huts. We try and keep the ice covered to prevent injury to the pigs (learned from experience). The pigs get fresh hay every day and I put it in different areas each day so any they leave helps to cover the ground. I also will spread out some of their old straw in the huts onto the ground before I add new straw in the huts. We keep buckets of sand available in the barn in case of real icy conditions. Recycling any straw outside their huts also helps during mud season. Hope this helps.

#17699 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Oh no! SO sorry to hear of your losses 🙁 Normally if the piglets are still born they still have the embryonic sac around them – it may be broken but rarely will the piglet be cleaned off. If she sat on them, the piglets will normally looked squashed & many times the tongue will be half hanging out which indicates that they got squished. That is rough but it happens to us all at times.

Too much straw can be a problem & of course too little & they can freeze. Of the joys of balancing!

Hope the four remaining ones do great. Don’t beat yourself up – the fall could have affected the piglets. Give her another chance & see how she does next time.

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

#17847 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Pig split
Your information: