title

piglets lasted 2 days or less.

HOME Forums Hog Health piglets lasted 2 days or less.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Member: NM
    Alley
    Participant

I just had four sows give birth. their first litters were small but fine. Their second litter, the piglets died within 2 days. 34 piglets in total. Should I be vacinating them automatically or what? I hurt so bad by our loss. I amconsidering selling them to recoup their original purchase pprice at $350. each. What tests do I need to have done? sows/ soil? ideas? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alley

#18358 Reply

president
    Participant

So many questions to ask to provide any help!

How are the sows housed? Are you using farrowing pens? Is the area warm or cold? Damp or dry? How much are you feeding the sows? What area of the country are you in? Does you vet know of any diseases prevalent in your area? How did the piglets die? What symptoms did they have? What bedding are you using?

There are more questions as well, but those should help come up with an idea of what is going on.

Thanks

Richard

#18397 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

It may also be a nutritional problem. Really need more information. But take a look at your feed and make sure it is formulated for hogs. Hogs need more Lysine than other livestock, but not sure the affect of not getting enough. Sorry for your loss! I would really like to know what happened as we all need that information.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: piglets lasted 2 days or less.
Your information: