title

potatoes for hogs

HOME Forums General potatoes for hogs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by chhogs chhogs 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sas Weber
    Participant

Does anyone know if its okay to feed my hogs raw potatoes? I’m harvesting mine right now and there are many culls that could go to the pigs.
    While I’m on this topic, are there any plants that are definitely poisonous to pigs? I’ve heard that rhubarb is.
    Thanks so much.
    Sas weber

#18188 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

Pigs love potatoes! We harvested all of ours, then let the pigs in and they found every single one we missed!

China Berry Trees, very, very poisonous, especially to pigs and people. They’ve pretty much eaten everything we missed in the garden, and they love it when we miss cucumbers.

Take care,
    Ross

#18191 Reply

Sas Weber
    Participant

oh good! They’ll be thrilled by their breakfast bounty then.
    thanks for the info.
    sas

#18192 Reply

president
    Participant

Watch out for other plants around like wild cherry trees. We have some in one pasture here and it took us a little while to work out why our piglets were dying in that pasture! They were eating the fallen leaves which are very poisonous. The cherry fruit is fine, but the seeds, leaves and bark are toxic.

Richard

#18193 Reply

Sas Weber
    Participant

Good to know, thanks Mr. President. We don’t have any wild cherry trees around SW MT, but i do have some cherry trees. I’ll remember that hard-earned advice.

#18194 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

I did read on another forum that potatoes should be cooked before being fed to pigs BUT of course a few are not going to hurt them. If you were going to feed then in bulk then I think they would be better digested as being cooked.

Liz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: potatoes for hogs
Your information: