title

Pregnancy

HOME Forums Hog Health Pregnancy

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Duane Luzier Duane Luzier 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Member: WA
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

I have two gilts-sisters, they are 18 months old now. I have had both of them to visit a boar two times each and neither have gotten pregnant. I just had one of them over for a third try. Is there any supplements or feed that I could give to help with this? They seem to understand the concept, but we’re just not pregnant yet. The boar’s owner has witness the breeding, and that boar has over 12 litters on the ground. I find it hard to imagine that both girls are not fertile?
    Any suggestions?? Thanks.

#18279 Reply
    Member: PA Duane Luzier
    Duane Luzier
    Participant

http://www.ehow.com/how_8064716_flush-breeding-gilt.html explains flulshing a gilt prior to breeding. I’ve heard that adding wheat germ to feed helps with fertility also. FYI: We had a large-boned Warbler sow that we didn’t get bred successfully until she was over 2 years old and she gave us only 4 piglets. Her littermate sister bred at 12 months with consistant litters of 8 piglets. Some sows just weren’t meant for motherhood.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Pregnancy
Your information: