title

Pregnant gals near farrowing…newbie question(s)

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Pregnant gals near farrowing…newbie question(s)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Thomas Barry Thomas Barry 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Member: GA Bob Hayles
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

I haave two gals about to have their first litters…one the last week of this month and the other a week to 10 days later. I have a seperated area for farrowing and am building farrowing huts for each of them, seperated by a hog panel. The question: Do I need to have them visually seperated as well as the physical seperation of the panel?

Get ready…their first litters, MY first litters…my questions will probably large in number and coming fast and furious. I hope there will be folks checking in here to answer them…

#21447 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

4 days, not a single answer…

#21456 Reply
    Member: OK Lloyd Payne
    Lloyd Payne
    Participant

I have farrowed five sows together in the same barn with no physical separation. Sometimes they will try to have them laying next to each other. Although, I would recommend the physical separation as you mentioned you currently have so there is less potential of laying on each other’s pigs as they tend to do if farrowed and held together without separation. They have a hard enough time keeping up with their own much less another sows pigs. Feel free to message me direct with any additional question on Facebook.

Lloyd Payne
    Piggin Farms

#21458 Reply
    Bob Hayles
    Participant

Thanks Lloyd…answer is much appreciated.

#21461 Reply
    Member: Maine Thomas Barry
    Thomas Barry
    Participant

We farrowed our 4 sows this spring in separate physically separated huts, but with areas dividid up with hog panels and electric going around all the areas. It worked like a charm and I think the visual of each other is better for their quality of life anyways.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Pregnant gals near farrowing…newbie question(s)
Your information: