title

Rendering Lard

HOME Forums Hog How-To's Rendering Lard

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by chhogs chhogs 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

As has been stated many times before, good fat is VERY healthy for you & despite what others might tell you, your body needs fat to thrive. A mature LB hog (250lbs +) should have some very nice fat/lard when butchered. PLEASE do not waste this. If your customer does not want it then request it for yourselves.

Please note that most of the lard purchased in the grocery store has been hydrogenated & that stuff is BAD for you.

Richard & I have found that the best way to render the lard is to put it through a meat grinder first. The butcher will likely give it to you in one of two big chunks & parts of it are kinda stringy. By grinding it, it really breaks it down so that you do not have to heat it for very long.

Once ground, put a load in your pan & heat gently. (We use our cast iron skillets.) All the crud (meat & other scummy stuff) will rise to the top & turn gray when done, leaving a clear liquid underneath. Strain through a sieve with cheesecloth on which ensures that only the clear fat goes through. We put ours in Pint Ball Jars & store in the freezer. If doing this make sure you leave a gap at the top for expansion.

Lard will keep indefinitely in the freezer & up to 3 mths in the refrigerator. Of course it is not just good for eating, it is also excellent for making soap. We haven’t tried that yet but one of these days…..

Liz – Missouri

#17086 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

I’d like to hear how the soap making goes when you try! I’ve never made it but think it would be something to try. I have some goats and know some folks use goatmilk for soap, too. Will have to research a bit to see just how it’s done.

#17091 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

Hey Steph,

Goats milk is supposed to be the BEST for making soap but as they will not be joining the farm, we’ll have to make do with lard 🙂

Liz

#17096 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Being as a person would have to MILK the goats to get the milk, I’ll probably make do with the lard, as well. LOL! And thank you for telling how to render the lard – I had some vague idea of it being a long drawn out process involving the big kettle over an open fire. 😉 Seriously, I really didn’t know how it was done and this makes me want to give it a try. Thanks!

#17102 Reply
    chhogs
    Participant

Can’t take credit for the instructions. I just remember when I wanted to do this the first time that we did alot of research on the internet & ended up on somebody’s site (can’t remember who) with detailed info which was really helpful & got us on the right path. I have tried it just by cutting it in to chunks & it just doesn’t work!!

Liz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Rendering Lard
Your information: