title

Snubbing snouts at alfalfa

HOME Forums Hog Health Snubbing snouts at alfalfa

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  largebla 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

I have been having a problem with my pigs not eating their hay and was wondering if others have had this problem as well. The hay that I am feeding is second cut alfalfa of very good quality . They were like lawn mowers on the alfalfa plot this past summer but for some reason they want nothing to do with the bales . Even after a few times without grain they still wont touch it . I have left it tight without the strings and fluffed it up and still nothing. A few years ago one of the local farmers up the way from me lost two of his draft horses from a fungus in the hay . The farm where I got the hay from is certified organic so I know nothing was sprayed on it . The bales themselves show no evidence of having been wet . My pheasants and chickens love it but for some reason the pigs won’t touch it . It makes me nervous if a pig won’t eat it !!

#17160 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

This is interesting. It smells like alfalfa, right?

All of my hogs, all the breeds, eat alfalfa / mixed grass hay like it’s candy. It did take a few days to transition, tho, from pasture to dried hay. Maybe give them a couple of three days without feed and see if they like it more when their stomachs are rumbling?

#17163 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

During the winter we run our alfalfa through a hammermill. Its extra labor but they eat every bit of it. We also add a small amount of grain and molasses or beet pulp to make it more appealing. Ours do not like baled hay either, but eventually they will eat it.

#17164 Reply

Shire Gate
    Participant

Our hogs have never not eaten something. I think Brian is right, let their stomach rumble. I came home from a farm show with a few fresh mats from a Fodder Solution machine. It’s hydroponic grown grasses. It help up you daily rate of gain among other many benefits. The hogs, horses, sheep, goats and chickens went nuts over it. Cows will take time to get use to it as they didn’t care for it. I hope you do get this figured out as alfalfa is a great supplement feed in MO 🙂

~Deanna

#17165 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the tips everyone . I did put some more out tonight and after reading what Brian said I did smell it !! In the past I had some jersey bulls and they refused to eat a round bale that I had put out . Come to find out it had a huge nest of field mice inside the bale . I’m sure it was because they could smell urine on it . The bale I put out tonight didn’t have any odd smell to it and there were no surprises inside . This will be the third day with no grain so I’ll see how it goes . If not the dried molasses sounds pretty good . Thanks JL

#17169 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Gosh, I hope they start eating it. I have to add to everyone else’s comments – our pigs nearly run over each other to get to the alfalfa when we put it out. They LOVE it!

Liz – Missouri

#17173 Reply

Diana Somerville
    Participant

We are having the same issue with our pigs not eating our hay even though it is the same mix as what is in our pasture. It is clean and fresh and the cows have no issue with it. I bought some dehydrated alfalfa pelets and hydrate them with warm water. If I put that in the same pan as their grain twice a day, they will eat it. They’re not nuts about it but they eat it. I can do this because we only have 4 pigs at the moment. I am afraid to not have them eat when it is so cold. They need the calories to stay warm. Next year when we have more pigs – we may do the “tough love” and let their bellies rumble for a while if we have to. I have enjoyed reading everyone thoughts on this.

#17174 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Success !! After a few days without grain did the trick . They ate up most of the alfalfa I put out the other night . I also built a hay feeder with some extra pipe I had around and they are all eating just fine . Thanks all for the great advise and concern . JL

#17175 Reply

Shire Gate
    Participant

Oh Congrats!!!!

~Deanna

#17176 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Good for you Joshua! Glad they are finally appreciating the good stuff 🙂

Liz – Missouri

#17893 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Snubbing snouts at alfalfa
Your information: