title

sow not nursing

HOME Forums Buying or Selling Large Black Hogs sow not nursing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tallislandgirl 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Member: WA Bobby
    Bobby
    Participant

I’m having a problem with our sow not wanting anything to do with her piglets. This is her second litter. She was great during her first litter. I don’t know what’s going on. She has milk and her teats aren’t discolored or sensitive. I have the piglets currently inside and under a heat lamp. Also, they aren’t wanting to drink from a bottle, but they are drinking some from a dish. They just happen to knock the dish over and dump it about 10 seconds after I give it to them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#18551 Reply
    Member: WA
    tallislandgirl
    Participant

I have a mommy that has three week old babies, she was not wanting to nurse this past weekend. The vet diagnosed she has coccidia. She received her first of three heavy duty antibiotic shots, and has sprung back. The babies will start antibiotics in their drinking water tomorrow.

I had separated the babies and left them with starter/grower dry food (mixed with a little all-breed because of the molasses and peanuts in the shell), plus water with electrolites/vitamins. I also give them milk-replacer about 4 times a day. They are crazy and walk through their bowls and spill some of it, but they are gaining weight. They would not allow me to try to nurse them, I tried…too squeally.

I have been allowing some nursing with mommy, usually I feed them milk replacer first, then let them in to nurse. Each day mommy lets them nurse a bit longer. This afternoon mommy took them on a field trip and they ate grass and dug holes.

Good luck!! ~Laura

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: sow not nursing
Your information: