title

What does everyone do with older sows/boars?

HOME Forums General What does everyone do with older sows/boars?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  largebla 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone-

Being a young Farm, we are now faced with : “What to do with the sows and boars who can no longer reproduce?” We have sent an uncastrated ‘test’ boar to the processor, only to feed it to our dogs. It was heavily boar-tainted. Are the sows viable meat to retail or eat for ourselves? What do we do with the boars? We are a non-GMO and soy-free operation, so just keeping it as a ‘pet’ really isn’t a viable option. Thanks for any input!!

Mary Bowers
    Bowers Farm

#18449 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Hey Mary! We butchered an uncastrated boar that had been in service one time. There was very little taint; although the butcher said he could tell the difference between that pig and the others he had butchered that day. We enjoyed the flavor. He had been isolated for about 4 months as we were hoping he would heal up from a pulled rear leg. He was almost back to normal when he reinjured it and we decided he was meat. The closest females during that isolation time was across a driveway and a little further than that. Keeping him isolated I think is the key, but not sure how long that needs to be, and if the length of time is dependent upon how old he is.

If you have a Facebook page, there is a Large Black Pig group that is a good location to also ask that question.

Cyndie Phillippe

#18452 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Hi Cyndie! Thanks for the response! Our two older sows didn’t farrow earlier this year when we thought they were pregnant. We put them back in with the boars in mid June. Meanwhile, we had a younger sow farrow in July with one of the older boars as sire, and have had a gilt in with the other older boar since mid May. One question that comes to mind as I type is, is it wrong to put a boar in with two sows? That’s our situation right now–well, with one right now since the younger sow farrowed. We waited too long to mate the older sows, a year perhaps, and I’m thinking their fertility may be a little messed up because of that, thanks to reading about it on the forum. So, we’ll see! Won’t let that happen again! Thanks for the heads-up on the facebook page! Will definitely check it out.

#18453 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Most often so far, I have bred 2 sows at one time. I would think they could take care of several at one time. If you have to hold off breeding back a female, put her in a trailer and drive her around on some bumpy roads for a while. I was told this technique by several old hog breeders and have successfully used it 2 or 3 times. 😉 Cyndie Phillippe

#18455 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

That’s terrible. Really? I mean, sometime you have to do what you have to do, but am I understanding this right? The morning after pill for sows is a bumpy ride in a livestock trailer?

#18487 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Riding a gilt, or sow around in the trailer is not a “morning after” pill. It will bring the gilt or sow in heat so they can be bred. One of my college professors said, “Load them up, take them to McDonalds, come home, and they’ll bred.” Something about riding them around will bring them in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: What does everyone do with older sows/boars?
Your information: