title

Who's selling pork?

HOME Forums Pork Sales Who's selling pork?

This topic contains 35 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Poteet 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Member: TX Epps
    Epps
    Participant

Thanks, that is good info. We just went to a new market and sold pork, LBH and brand X and although the brand X was priced cheaper, the LBH far out sold “the other white meat”. With LBH selling for $12 and up we brought home over $900. Now the next market day we will monitor how many repeat buyers and new word of mouth buyers we have. I expect it is going to be good as I sold a whole hog last week and the gentleman was extremely pleased and WILL come back for more. Now if this continues, can I afford to sell breeders? That will be interesting as I am expecting litters with a CI of less than 3%. Anyone have thoughts or info?

#17587 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Frank, excellent first market! Hope it continues to go well.

Personally, I think you have to sell both pork and breeders, although it is important to determine which you will specialize in and stick with the marketing for that venue. We sell about 8-10% breed stock, just to cover some feed expenses out of each set of litters. Helps promote local breeders and still allows us to continue to build our pork herd.

#17594 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

Congratulations Frank 🙂 Exciting times for you.

Liz

Missouri

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

#17595 Reply
    Member: TX Shiner Pork
    Shiner Pork
    Participant

Great discussion everyone…

Question: I know we’re in a drought, and feeding is a bit tricky during these times, but as a general rule, how much do y’all feed each animal per day? I know there are different rates depending on the size/weight of the animal, but say, for an animal you’re raising for pork, and he/she’s in the 50-100 range, 100-150 range, 150-200 range, 200- butcher weight? Or, perhaps a percentage of body weight? I know it’s hard right now, especially if y’all’s grass looks like ours. I walked out into the pasture, surrounded by our pigs, all of them looking at me, one ear cocked to the side, with the “where’s the grass!” look. Right now I just look at them and think to myself, “I’m sorry guy’s”. Right now we’re feeding 100% feed, giving them some hay to give their stomachs something else, but it’s nutritional value is nill.

I’m in the transitional phase, raising some for breeding, most for pork, and need some guidelines on how much, etc… Any help would be greatly appreciated. Damn feed is expensive!

Thanks,

Ross

#17626 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

“Right now we’re feeding 100% feed, giving them some hay to give their stomachs something else, but it’s nutritional value is nill.”

Not true at all. Nutritional value in good quality hay is crucial during times like these. Especially in grazing hogs. Finding good quality hay is difficult and expensive, but essential. Taking them off of grass completely will result in a lesser quality pork. Poo smell is a good factor in determining how good your pork quality will be. Processed feeds or straight grains will make their poo stink within two weeks. A diet consisting of mostly hay with supplemental ingredients will result in a better quality pork and their poo won’t stink. Quality in, quality out.

We adjust amounts and ingredients almost weekly. Rations change as conditions change. More grass on the ground (by the way, even in the hottest of droughts there is usually something they can forage through and get nutrients from… ours are enjoying lots of cactus and really enjoyed the mesquite beans during the summer) means you need less in supplements and should feed less. Less or no grass means you feed them more.

We also adjust each week after seeing the pork from the week before. Too much fat, cut back on supplements; not enough, increase. There is no guaranteed recipe that holds true year round. I’m sure it will take us years before we have enough data to predict accurately. Even feed estimates you find on line are not accurate because so few people are pasturing hogs now. Most swine feed is created for confined applications.

#17660 Reply
    Member: MS
    tripleL
    Participant

I am new to the lb’s. Just got 2 gilts & 1 boar about 2 weeks ago. They should have babies around September. I have learned a lot from reading on the forum… I am from mississippi and was wondering what I have to do to sell meat? Im wondering if I am going to be stuck with 2 litters of pigs with no one to buy them. I sure hope that’s not the case because I want to really get into this pig business. I’m really enjoying it already. Any way, would it be easier to just sell the pigs when they are butcher size? I dont know what I have to do to ”legally” to sell meat to say restaurants, local businesses etc. We have a farmers market that’s open a few times a month I’d like to sell there but dont have a clue what I need to do before I just show up with a bunch of meat to sell. I know anyone can bring fruits & vegetables for sale. It’s very open, small town, set up outside on your tail gate around the courthouse kinda thing. So, what is a label? How do you go about getting one? I think thats enough questions for one post! Thanks so much everyone! If you’d like to email me, please do! kmlgrl06@gmail.com

#17661 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

The answer is its complicated and it depends on where and what you sell. Each state has their own laws, each county, each city… Some more complicated than others. The label refers to your manufacturing label that is on your product. When you go to the grocery store and pick up a package of meat all the labels have information containing the manufacturer, safety information, weight, ingredients… All the stuff to tell the consumer about the product. If your meat is processed in a USDA inspected facility, the USDA inspector’s number also has to be on the label. It then has to be approved by the USDA. Usually your processor can help you with this, but I found many do not want to help much when it comes to pork. Shop around and ask a lot of questions. If they don’t want to help, move to a new processor. They can make or break your operation.

You also have to have licenses and permits depending on what you sell and where. Some counties require mobile food vendors permits where they inspect your vehicle or other method of delivering the product to the retail store / farmers market / restaurant. You have to have a way to keep the product clean and the temperature cold enough to keep it safe for consumers to eat. In Texas it must be frozen if you intend to resell.

Direct off the farm does not require as many permits and licenses. You do not need a label to sell off the hoof / farm. You sell to a consumer the entire hog / half hog. You deliver to a processor and collect from your consumer. The consumer pays the processor for the cutting and processing. You can also do this direct to a restaurant, although I believe you still need a manufacturers license to sell to a restaurant.

You can also talk to whomever manages the farmers market. They should have the information to at least help you get started.

Although there is a huge market for this pork, you still have to work to get it sold. You must build a name for yourself and a reputation before any serious restaurants will pay attention to you. You might also have to give away a lot before you sell any. Not trying to scare anyone. I wish more folks would sell pork. The more heritage pork producers we have in the country, especially LB’s, the more of a demand we will all create.

Good luck and we hope you have a very successful year!

#17702 Reply
    Member: MS
    tripleL
    Participant

Thanks so much!

#17709 Reply
    Member: MO chhogs
    chhogs
    Participant

“Although there is a huge market for this pork, you still have to work to get it sold. “

Kelly hit the nail right on the head with this statement & it applies to the piglets also. I don’t know how many times folks have asked us if they will have to market the pigs/pork. These pigs/pork are incredible but it takes a LOT of work & investment (time) to market them. Like with most other businesses, for you to be a successful breeder takes work & we tell folks not to expect to see any real return on that investment for at least 2 years. You have to be able to “carry” your breeding stock for that period of time.

Hope your new venture works out really well for you & welcome to the world of Large Blacks 🙂

Liz

http://www.cornishheritagehogs.com

Missouri

#17804 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

#17827 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

linjianxuan20120426Do you know what a hermes is? A podcast is simply a coach purses outletto 60 minute recording where coach factory handbag outlet storedistill information about a coach factory topic. Many people prefer hearing people coach factory store of reading things coach factory, so podcasts are a good option for them. If coach purses on sale want to expand your client coach factory onlineand get more traffic to hermes website… you should tory burch outlet using podcasts today.coach outlet podcasts are coach purses outlet to create. All coach factory store online need is a microphone and a recording louis vuitton bags to help you create the louis vuitton handbags. Some people take a coach store online and create Youtube tory burch handbags with it, and then coach purse outlet the audio from the coach handbags to instantly turn it into a hermes belts. You will need a burberry different kinds of coach outlet store to do this, but it’s louis vuitton a great way to take care of tory burch outlet things at 1 time.To coach factory online sale as many people as louis vuitton handbags on sale to your podcast, the hermes online thing that you will louis vuitton outletcoach store onlinecoach store onlinecoach store online to do is to enter coach store online a niche. The burberry bags methods of direct coach factory outlet online marketing still apply. If louis vuitton shoes enter into a niche, you will find that hermes birkin won’t have alot of competition as opposed to if coach outlet online were in a niche coach outlet online internet marketing, weight burberry or entertainment news.Ads by louis vuitton outlet storelike these are burberry outletcrowded, so you will want to make it burberry outletpoint to seek out more coach factoryunusual niches to get traffic to coach outletwebsite. You don’t hermes onlinehave to be passionate about tory burchif you want to make louis vuitton outletonline, going into a coach factory outletis essential.Think about coach outlet store of the niches that you can enter coach factory online and be a part of. You could take over a nlouis vuitton purses, and make a name for louis vuitton in that niche for a coach factory, long time. Plus, the more brand recognition you get for yourself in coach purses niche, the more people will come back to tory burch bags to buy more of your products, and to get coach outlet online hands on your information so that they can achieve a goal that coach outlet have or solve a problem.Once you’ve found your niche, it’s time to start creating your podcast. coach outlet store online have 2 options: You can louis vuitton create a high quality coach factory outlet, or a low quality podcast — in terms of podcast equipment. Now I’m sure louis vuitton handbags would deliver the same good information as louis vuitton, but if you use high quality coach purses tools, you will find that people are more likely to stay with you and listen to the information that you have to share week after week.You will want to go out of your way and create a free podcast blog also. tory burch can do this at a site called “Blogger”. To get coach outlet store online own blog, it will only take you about 5 minutes. Then you will want to go to a site called “Feedburner” to get an RSS feed for your podcast blog. This will allow people to get your podcast information post it onto their website or blog – thus giving you more free exposure for your business.Podcasts are huge right now and it’s something that you will want to do now rather than later. Keep this in mind the next time that hongmugongyip go out and create a podcast in your business today.Good luck with gongyip podcasts in your business today.

#17859 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

#18029 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

You can do so by using a tape measure. Double check all your information, and once you are sure of them, . Once you have tried it, you are sure to come back for more. The intoxicant seems of pandora Beads flashes by way of your wrist by her eye-catching ray. merited to it’ll be considered a pandora charms canada item used about neck, so could well be the foremost point presently getting witnessed when appeared owning a lady. To start, purchase a Pandora bracelet on which you attach different pandora Canada . Naturally, this has made some of the ‘retired charms’ greatly Pandora Jewelry canada sought after and more expensive to buy than when they were first released. They are released in increments, with a new set of Pandora beads appearing on the market each spring and autumn.

#18251 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

Could anyone tell me a rough idea of what your selling market is, meaning If I were to buy a whole hog, what would the cost be.
    Patrick Rhéaume
    Rhéaume’s Large black Hogs

#18269 Reply

largebla
    Keymaster

I have not sold any myself yet, but I was told to sell at market price. Last I checked (a while ago) it was 93 cents/pound. So if anyone asks me, I tell them a dollor per pound, plus the cost of butchering. For those that go to the extra expense to feed them organically and/or non-GMO, I am sure they could ask more but I have no idea of what the add-on would be. I would think they could use a percentage add-on dependent upon the percentage of the higher cost of their feed over regular feed. And I think that it has been mentioned above that there are great variations in what the market will bear dependent upon where you live and competing factors in that area, and who your market is. You can probably get more if you are close to an urban area than if you are out in the boonies.
    Cyndie Phillippe

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Who's selling pork?
Your information: